Cajun sweet potato wedges make an easy and flavorful side dish for your next weeknight meal. Sweet potatoes are drizzled in olive oil, sprinkled in spicy seasoning, then roasted in the oven.
Looking for a nutritious side dish to add to your weekly dinner rotation? These cajun sweet potato wedges fit the bill. They're coated in a spicy cajun seasoning and can be in the oven with just five minutes of prep.
Plus, sweet potatoes are filled with fiber and potassium, and are said to help keep blood pressure low. What's not to love?
Looking for something milder? Try my recipe for oven roasted potatoes.
Ingredients and substitutions
Sweet potatoes can be substituted with any potatoes you have on hand. Yukon gold are a great choice for slicing and roasting, because they'll hold their shape after baking.
Olive oil can be substituted with any cooking oil you have on hand.
Cajun seasoning can be homemade or store bought. I also have a recipe for homemade cajun seasoning if you'd like to make your own.
Preparing sweet potatoes
If you don't have experience working with sweet potatoes, just treat them like a regular potato. Rinse off the skin and scrub if needed to remove any remaining dirt.
For this recipe, you can leave the skin on or peel your potatoes. I like to leave the skin on because that's where you'll find most of the fiber and nutrients in your potatoes.
Cut your potatoes in half lengthwise, then slice each of those halves into about 4 wedges each. Add your wedges to a bowl, sprinkle with cajun seasoning and olive oil, then toss. Your potatoes are now ready for the oven!
How to serve sweet potato wedges
Sweet potato wedges are basically like thick sweet potato fries. They can be eaten with a fork alongside your main dish, or dipped in a sauce and enjoyed like french fries.
I like to serve them with a side of ranch dressing, but ketchup or your favorite creamy dipping sauce is a great choice.
What to serve with cajun sweet potato wedges
A few easy main courses to serve with your potato wedges:
- Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Corn Chowder
- Pan-Seared Ribeye
- Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Oven Roasted Brats
- Patty Melt with Secret Sauce
Cajun Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Scrub and rinse off sweet potatoes. Peel or leave skins on (your choice). Slice in half lengthwise, then slice each half lengthwise into about four wedges.
- In a bowl, add sweet potatoes, seasoning, and olive oil. Toss potatoes to evenly coat.
- Arrange wedges in a single layer on prepared baking sheet (make sure they do not touch). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes are evenly browned and can easily be pierced through with a fork.
- For crispier edges, turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes at the end of baking.
- Sweet potatoes can be substituted with yukon gold potatoes.