These simple and flavorful baked chicken drumsticks make the perfect last-minute dinner. Coated in a lightly spiced seasoning and baked in the oven until crispy.
You’re going to love this recipe for baked chicken drumsticks. With just a few minutes of prep, you can feed the entire family.
This recipe is also family friendly – adults and kids both love these chicken drumsticks. They turn out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
Plus, they’re coated in a flavorful spice blend that’s surprisingly easy to make. The optional cayenne pepper can be left off for those who prefer a mild flavor.
Preparing your baking sheet
For this recipe, I highly recommend using an oven-safe cooling rack to bake your chicken. Using this method helps your chicken to bake up crispy because your drumsticks won’t be sitting in grease while they cook.
First, cover your baking sheet with foil. Then, place an oven-safe cooling rack on top. I do not recommend using a cooling rack coated in nonstick material.
I use a this cooling rack (affiliate link) in the oven frequently, and it works great. Plus, it’s easy to pop in the dishwasher alongside your dinner plates.
Skin on or off?
Leaving the skin on your drumsticks insulates the chicken as it bakes, which helps prevent the meat from drying out. The skin helps to keep your chicken juicy. It also gives some leeway if you over-bake them slightly.
Cooking chicken until it is cooked completely through, without over-baking, can be tricky. I always suggest using a meat thermometer to test your chicken. You want to bake it to the magical chicken-is-done temperature, which is 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
You’re welcome to use skinless chicken drumsticks if you prefer. Or, if you’re trying to cut calories, feel free to remove the skin once it has finished baking.
If you plan to serve your chicken without skin, I suggest rubbing your spices underneath the skin before baking.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and top with a metal, oven-safe cooling rack. Set aside.
- Pat chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel. This is an important step to help your chicken get crispy when baking.
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, paprika, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- In a large bowl, add drumsticks. Drizzle with olive oil. Pour spices over drumsticks and toss to coat.
- Place drumsticks onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy.
- I highly recommend using an oven-safe cooling rack to bake your chicken. Using this method helps your chicken to bake up crispy because your drumsticks won't be sitting in grease while they cook.
- If you plan to serve your chicken without skin, I suggest rubbing your spices underneath the skin before baking, then removing the skin once your chicken is cooked through. The skin helps to prevent your chicken from drying out while baking.
More chicken recipes
- Pizza Stuffed Chicken
- Pesto Chicken Pasta (5 ingredients)
- Crispy Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- Chicken Vegetable Soup