Oven roasted brats with onions and peppers is an easy weeknight sheet pan meal. Bratwurst, onions, and red bell pepper are tossed in a tangy herb dressing and roasted in the oven.
These brats with onions and peppers are such an easy weeknight meal – one that the entire family will enjoy! A homemade tangy herb dressing is my secret weapon in this recipe. It adds tons of flavor and just a hint of heat.
The tangy herb dressing is made with dijon mustard, thyme, red pepper flakes, and a handful of pantry staples. If you enjoy your brats with mustard – this dressing is a must try!
Serve your brats on lightly toasted buns, on their own, or over a hearty helping of mashed potatoes. No matter how you enjoy your bratwurst, you’re going to want to make this recipe again and again.
Ingredients and substitutions
You’ll need a package of bratwurst – your favorite brand is fine.
Red bell pepper can be substituted with any color of bell pepper. Green bell pepper is another favorite of mine, and is generally the cheapest and easiest to find.
Red wine vinegar can be substituted with apple cider vinegar.
Adjusting your serving size
This recipe is incredibly easy to adjust for the amount of servings you’ll need. In the recipe card below, simply hover over the serving size. Using the bar that pops up, increase or decrease the amount of servings you’ll need.
There is plenty of room on a half sheet pan to add 2 more brats, as well as more onion and pepper.
If you’re serving up to 8, I’d suggest splitting your recipe between two sheet pans and rotating them between two racks in your oven halfway through baking. This way, your sheet pan won’t get too crowded and your vegetables won’t get soggy.
Ways to serve bratwurst
The classic way to serve your bratwurst is on a hot dog bun, loaded with onions and peppers on top. You’re welcome to add additional mustard if you like, but these brats have plenty of flavor on their own!
Bratwurst, onions, and peppers can also be served on their own – no bun required. Simply slice and enjoy with a fork.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in a sealed container. Reheat in the microwave, or in the oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
Oven Roasted Brats with Onions and Peppers
- 4 bratwurst links
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 hot dog buns
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pierce bratwurst multiple times each with a fork and add to a bowl with sliced onions and peppers. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes, and thyme. Pour over brats and vegetables and toss to coat.
- Pour brats and vegetables onto prepared sheet pan and spread into a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping once halfway through, or until everything is browned and cooked through.
- Stuff buns with bratwurst, top with onions and peppers, and serve immediately.
- Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
- A half sheet pan will accommodate up to about 6 bratwurst with onions and peppers. If doubling recipe, divide ingredients between two half sheet pans and cook on two oven racks, rotating them halfway through. Spreading your ingredients out will help keep them from getting soggy as they roast.