Savory roasted sweet potatoes are an easy sheet pan side dish. Cubed sweet potatoes are coated in olive oil and savory herbs and roasted in the oven.
These savory roasted sweet potatoes have endless options - they're seasoned with garlic powder and Italian seasoning for a mild, savory flavor. Pair with your favorite main dish, toss into a salad, or add to your next breakfast burrito.
Sweet potatoes are nutrient dense root vegetables. They're high in fiber, antioxidants, and Vitamin A. They are also easy to meal prep and enjoy all week long!
Sweet potatoes make an excellent side dish for a quick weeknight meal or a fancy holiday dinner. These savory roasted sweet potatoes pair well with just about any main dish - beef or pork roast, oven baked chicken, or a holiday ham.
Ingredients and substitutions
You'll need about 1 ½ pounds of sweet potatoes. This may be 2 or 3 sweet potatoes, depending on size.
Italian seasoning can be homemade or store bought. If you don't have Italian seasoning on hand, any combination of Italian herbs will work, like oregano, thyme, rosemary, or sage.
Salt and garlic powder can be substituted with garlic salt.
Types of potatoes to use
This recipe can be made with any potatoes you have on hand. Yukon gold potatoes are great for roasting because they hold their shape after baking.
Any small roasting potato also works well. They may be labeled as baby potatoes, red potatoes, or new potatoes at your local grocery store.
Do I need to peel my potatoes?
I've made this recipe with peeled potatoes and skin-on potatoes - both methods work just fine.
The skin of the potato is filled with nutrients and contains about half of the fiber in a potato. Plus, peeling your potatoes will take extra prep time.
I suggest giving your potatoes a good scrub and leaving the skin on for those extra nutrition benefits!
Optional parmesan cheese
I like to top my roasted sweet potatoes with freshly grated parmesan cheese. This part is optional, but it really brings this dish over the top!
Parmesan cheese adds a salty, nutty flavor as well as visual appeal to your finished potatoes.
If you'd like to keep this dish vegan, look for a vegan parmesan cheese or one made with vegetable rennet.
What to serve with roasted sweet potatoes
These roasted sweet potatoes are versatile and can easily be paired with your favorite main dish. Spiral sliced ham, Thanksgiving turkey, roasted chicken, pork chops, or pork roast make excellent pairings.
Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Clean potatoes and optionally peel off skins. Slice into about 1 inch cubes.
- Add cubed potatoes to a bowl. Top with olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and pepper. Toss to evenly coat potatoes. Pour potatoes out onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Roast potatoes in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes are evenly browned and can easily be pierced through with a fork. Flip halfway through with a spatula to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oven, optionally top with grated parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.
- To keep this dish vegan, omit parmesan cheese or use a vegan parmesan cheese substitute.
- Sweet potatoes can be substituted with any potatoes you have on hand. I recommend yukon gold or red potatoes.
- Roasted potato leftovers can be kept safely in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days in a tightly sealed container.