Learn how to make homemade no churn ice cream today. No ice cream maker needed - this creamy and sweet ice cream is made with just three ingredients and is easily customized to make your favorite flavors.
Want to make your own ice cream from home? It's easier than you think. This ice cream is rich, creamy, and can be customized to make just about any flavor imaginable.
Learn how to make homemade ice cream today - it takes literally ten minutes of prep before your ice cream is in the freezer.
No ice cream maker needed! A hand mixer will make the process easier, but this recipe can be made with as little as a whisk and some elbow grease.
No churn ice cream base
This is all you need to make your own ice cream at home. Two ingredients are needed for the base, and any additional ingredients are included to add flavor.
No churn ice cream is made with heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. Since we're making vanilla ice cream today, I've also included vanilla extract.
Ice cream flavors
Ice cream flavors are added to your sweetened condensed milk, before being folded into the heavy cream. Here are a few ideas:
- Extracts - Vanilla, mint, lemon, maple, or almond. Try 1 teaspoon or more.
- Spices - Cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla bean, or ginger. Try ½ teaspoon or more.
- Jams & Preserves - Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, apricot, cherry, or pineapple. Add ½ to 1 cup. I used jam in my No Churn Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream.
- Cocoa Powder - Add ½ cup.
- Butters - peanut, almond, cashew, nutella, or even cookie butter. Add ½ cup.
- Hot fudge/chocolate sauce - Start with ¼ cup and add more as needed.
- Food coloring - while not a flavor, this is the step where you'd add food coloring if desired. Remember, the color will lighten when the heavy cream is added.
Mix-ins are extra bits like cookies, chocolate chips, chunks, or ribbons that can be found in your ice cream. Try picking a mix-in that is complementary to the flavor you chose for your ice cream. Or, come up with something totally new.
I recommend adding anywhere from ½ cup to 1 cup of mix-ins to your ice cream. You can also sprinkle more to the top for visual appeal.
- Baking chips - chocolate chips (I like mini chocolate chips), white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips.
- Chopped chocolate - like in my No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.
- Nuts - pecans, peanuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios.
- Sprinkles - sprinkles go a long way, so I'd start with 1-2 tablespoons.
- Cookie pieces - sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, oreo cookies. I added these sugar cookies into my No Churn Christmas Cookie Ice Cream.
- Candy - Reese's peanut butter cups, Snickers, Kit Kat, Heath, M&M's, Cookies and Cream - you get the idea! A great way to use up extra Halloween candy.
- Fresh fruit - strawberries, blueberries, peaches, cherries, banana slices.
- Cake pieces - crumble a piece of cake into your ice cream - frosting and all!
- Cookie dough - I recommend making a homemade, safe to eat version like this Edible Cookie Dough.
- Peanut butter - or any other nut butter. I made peanut butter ribbon layers in my No Churn Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream recipe.
- Hot fudge -try adding a ribbon of hot fudge (at room temperature) in the middle of your ice cream. See my peanut butter method above.
- Jam/preserves - jam can be mixed in thoroughly to offer a consistent flavor, or added in thin layers for a ribbon effect.
- Waffle cone pieces
- Pretzels or potato chips
- Brownie pieces
- Pie filling - cherry, apple.
- Cereal - golden grahams, corn flakes, cocoa puffs.
- Shredded coconut
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Shell Ice Cream Topping or Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping as a ribbon layer.
- Caramel - in bite size pieces, or melted and spooned into a ribbon layer.
- Graham crackers
- Mini marshmallows
How To Make No Churn Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are achieved, about 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Fold whipped cream into milk mixture until combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9x5 loaf pan (or any container that will hold 6 cups). Cover and freeze immediately for 4-5 hours or until firm. Enjoy!
- Extracts – Like vanilla, mint, lemon, maple, or almond. Try 1 teaspoon or more.
- Spices – Try cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla bean, or ginger. Try ½ teaspoon or more.
- Jams & Preserves - Add ½ cup or more.
- Peanut butter, nutella, or cookie butter. Add ½ cup.
- Hot fudge/chocolate sauce – Start with ¼ cup and add more as needed.
- Food coloring – while not a flavor, this is the step where you’d add food coloring if desired. Remember, the color will lighten when the heavy cream is added.
- Baking chips
- Chopped chocolate
- Cookie pieces
- Candy pieces
- Fresh fruit
More ice cream recipes
- No Churn Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping
- No Churn Christmas Cookie Ice Cream
- No Churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Shell Ice Cream Topping
- No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream