No churn cherry cheesecake ice cream is rich, creamy, and shockingly easy to prepare. Vanilla cheesecake ice cream is swirled with crumbled graham crackers and cherry pie filling to make this indulgent frozen dessert treat.
Have you ever made no churn ice cream before? It's surprisingly simple. All you need is a hand mixer, a few simple ingredients, and about 10 minutes of prep time.
Homemade whipped cream is blended with a sweet cheesecake filling, then swirled with cherry pie filling and crushed graham crackers. If you love cherries and cheesecake, you'll want to give this ice cream a try!
This no churn cherry cheesecake ice cream is rich, indulgent, and perfect for serving at your next special occasion. Make a batch for Valentine's Day, your next birthday party, or to cool down during those hot summer months.
What is no churn ice cream?
No churn ice cream is ice cream that's made without the use of an ice cream maker or other special equipment. For this recipe, all you'll need is a hand mixer.
You'll be blending sweetened condensed milk together with homemade whipped cream. Whipped cream gives this homemade ice cream it's light and airy texture without the need for an ice cream maker.
If you're worried about the texture or quality - don't be! This ice cream turns out just as rich, melty, and creamy as a store bought ice cream. Personally, I think it's even better.
Plus, making ice cream from scratch means that you know exactly what's in it - no long list of ingredients here!
Ingredients and substitutions
The two main ingredients in this recipe are a must - heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk.
Heavy cream, or heavy whipping cream, is needed to make your homemade whipped cream. Other dairy, like milk or half & half, will not work for this recipe. Heavy cream has a higher milkfat percentage, which is what helps it hold its shape when whipped.
Cherry pie filling can be substituted with other flavors of pie filling, like blueberry pie filling or strawberry pie filling.
You are also welcome to make your own: Homemade cherry pie filling. One 21 ounce can of filling equals about 1 ¼ cups of homemade filling.
Graham crackers could be substituted with crushed vanilla wafers or sandwich cookies for a different flavor.
Whipped cream tips and tricks
Never made your own whipped cream before? It's surprisingly simple as long as you follow a few important tips and tricks.
For a detailed look at how to make whipped cream, check out my recipe: Homemade whipped cream
- Use very cold heavy cream - the colder your cream is, the more easily and quickly it will whip up.
- To go an extra step further, you can also chill your bowl and beaters/whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes before beginning.
- Use a large bowl - your cream will double in size and there may be some splashing while whipping.
- Do not walk away while your whipped cream is mixing (if you're using a stand mixer). Whipped cream only takes about 2-3 minutes to make, and comes together quickly towards the end.
How long does homemade ice cream take to freeze?
While this ice cream is prepared in about 10 minutes, the true test of your patience comes when it's time to freeze.
Your no churn ice cream will take between 4 to 6 hours to freeze, depending on the temperature of your freezer.
If you're making ice cream for an event, it's best to make this ice cream the day beforehand to ensure it will be frozen evenly throughout.
What size pan to use
This recipe will completely fill a 9x5 loaf pan (as shown in the photos). However, a loaf pan is not required. Any container or pan with a 6 to 7 cup capacity will work.
If using a freezer-safe tupperware container, check the bottom for a cup capacity - most are labeled with their size.
Or, split your ice cream between two smaller containers - this will also help speed up the freezing time!
No Churn Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream very cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 3 graham crackers crushed
- In a large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are achieved, up to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add cream cheese. Beat with a hand mixer until creamy. Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Gently fold whipped cream into sweetened condensed milk mixture until fully incorporated. The mixture should look fluffy. Last, add cherry pie filling and gently fold in until swirled but not fully incorporated.
- Pour half of ice cream mixture into a 9x5 loaf pan (or any freezer-safe container that will hold 6-7cups). Add half of crushed graham crackers in an even layer. Top with remaining ice cream mixture and spread into an even layer. Decorate top with remaining crushed graham crackers.
- Cover and freeze immediately for 4-6 hours or until firm. Enjoy!
- 21 ounce can of cherry pie filling = 1 ¼ cups of homemade cherry pie filling