Chocolate Ice Peanut Butter Shell Ice Cream Topping is a rich and easy-to-make ice cream topping. This magical ice cream topping hardens into a shell when poured over your favorite frozen treat.
This dark chocolate peanut butter shell ice cream topping is incredibly easy to make – it’s ready in just five minutes. Plus, you only need three ingredients!
Top your favorite vanilla ice cream with this rich chocolate topping, and watch it magically harden into a crisp shell. While not as instantaneous as the store bought versions, this ice cream shell fully hardens within about 30 seconds.
Make your own ice cream shell with milk chocolate, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips. Or, try using white chocolate or peanut butter chips instead!
First, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, all you need are chocolate chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil.
Chocolate chips can be swapped with white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips.
Making magic shell
Add all of your ingredients to a microwave safe bowl, then microwave in 30 second increments and stirring. Be sure to microwave in short increments. Otherwise, your chocolate could scorch instead of melt.
Stir your ingredients until the chocolate chips have completely melted. Your chocolate shell should be thick and smooth, without any lumps or bits of chocolate.
Storing chocolate shell
Chocolate peanut butter shell can be stored at room temperature for up to a week in a sealed container. If stored in the refrigerator, your shell will harden, but you can easily microwave for a few seconds to liquefy again.
The “magic” in this shell works a little slower than the store bought version. I found that it took about 30 seconds for this shell to harden fully on my ice cream. But as you can see, it breaks apart beautifully once it’s frozen.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shell
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil refined
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted and combined. If preferred, you can melt over a double boiler on the stove top as well.
- Pour over your favorite frozen treat, and allow to harden (about one minute).
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips can be substituted with milk chocolate chips for a sweeter flavor.
- Store at room temperature for up to a week in a sealed container.
- If stored in the refrigerator, your shell will harden. Microwave for a few seconds to liquefy again.
More ice cream recipes
Love ice cream? Check out some of my other recipes here.
- Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping
- How To Make No Churn Ice Cream – with flavor and mix-in ideas
- No Churn Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream