Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping is a rich and minty ice cream topping that takes only three ingredients and five minutes of your time. This magical ice cream topping hardens into a shell when poured over your favorite frozen treat.
Who else loves ice cream? For me, ice cream is not designated to the summer months only. I don’t care if it’s twenty degrees outside – give me my wintertime ice cream! If you’re like me, you’ll love my peppermint chocolate ice cream shell topping. This magical topping will get you in the holiday spirit – add it to your favorite ice cream today.
Ice cream shell is truly magical. Pour over your favorite frozen dessert and it will harden into a crisp shell in seconds. Homemade shell topping takes a few seconds longer than the store bought types, so you may want to wait up to 30 seconds. It’s worth the wait, trust me on this.
I used semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but you’re welcome to use whatever you have on hand. This recipe will work with white chocolate chips (white peppermint shell? yum!) or milk chocolate chips. If you love peanut butter like me, you might want to check out my Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Shell Ice Cream Topping. My all-time favorite ice cream topping!
The most magical ingredient is the coconut oil. Grab a jar of refined coconut oil for best results. Unrefined coconut oil will give your shell topping a mild coconut flavor, which I normally wouldn’t mind. However, mixed with peppermint? I will stick with refined oil for this recipe.
Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted and combined. If preferred, you can melt over a double boiler on the stove top as well.
- Add peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Pour over your favorite frozen treat, and allow to harden (about one minute).