Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping is a chocolate sauce that hardens over ice cream. This chocolate shell is rich and minty, and made with only three ingredients.
You’re going to love this peppermint chocolate ice cream shell because it’s the perfect topping for a bowl of vanilla ice cream. Plus, you can make a batch in five minutes in your own kitchen.
What is chocolate ice cream shell? It is a chocolate sauce that hardens over ice cream. When at room temperature, this chocolate sauce is thin enough to pour, but as soon as it hits the cold ice cream, it hardens into a thin shell topping.
You may have seen something called “magic shell” by the ice cream toppings at the grocery store. This is a homemade version, made with just three ingredients.
How to Use Chocolate Ice Cream Shell
Pour over your favorite frozen dessert and it will harden into a crisp shell in seconds. The obvious choice would be ice cream, but you can also drizzle over any cold or frozen desserts.
Want to make your own ice cream popsicles, or bon bons from home? Dip your cold confections into this shell topping to add a thin, crisp chocolate coating.
Another fun treat is slicing fruits and freezing them on popsicle sticks. Then, dip them into your chocolate shell coating.
You can also add a thin chocolate coating to the top (or bottom) of any cold pie filling. Get creative! There is no wrong answer when it comes to chocolate ice cream shell.
How to Make Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell
First, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you’ll need semi-sweet chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and refined coconut oil.
It’s important to grab some refined coconut oil because it won’t have the added coconut flavor. Unrefined coconut oil will also work, but keep in mind that your chocolate shell will have a coconut flavor.
In a microwave safe dish, slowly melt your coconut oil and semi-sweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments. For me, I only needed one minute total to melt my chocolate chips.
Feel your container. If it is hot, your chocolate chips will eventually melt. No need to place them back in the microwave – just keep stirring. Chocolate can easily go from melty to scorched in seconds, so it’s important to use the microwave sparingly.
How to Store Chocolate Ice Cream Shell
I like to store my chocolate shell in a mason jar on the counter top.
If you accidentally refrigerate your shell topping – no worries. Simply set the container in warm water, or hold under hot tap water until your shell has thawed.
Your shell topping will keep for up to two weeks stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature. Try to keep any moisture out of your chocolate shell – this will cause bacteria to grow and your shell to mold.
More Ice Cream Desserts
Looking for more ice cream desserts? Try one of my other recipes:
- Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Shell Ice Cream Topping
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Double Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- How To Make No Churn Ice Cream – with flavor and mix-in ideas
- No Churn Christmas Cookie Ice Cream
Peppermint Chocolate Ice Cream Shell Topping
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil refined
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted and combined. If preferred, you can melt over a double boiler on the stove top as well.
- Add peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Pour over your favorite frozen treat, and allow to harden (about one minute).
- Store extra shell topping in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
- If topping hardens, microwave in 10 second increments until desired consistency is achieved. Or, run sealed container under hot water.