Chocolate peppermint magic shell is a chocolate sauce that hardens over ice cream to create a crisp shell. It's a rich, mint chocolate topping that's perfect for a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
You're going to love this peppermint magic shell because it's the perfect topping for a bowl of your favorite ice cream. You can make a batch in about five minutes in your home kitchen!
What is chocolate magic shell? It is a chocolate sauce that hardens into a thin, crisp shell when poured over ice cream. While at room temperature, it's thin enough to pour. When poured over ice cream (or any frozen treat) it solidifies into a thin candy coating.
Add chocolate peppermint magic shell to your next bowl of ice cream. It's perfect for Christmastime and has a refreshing, minty flavor. Peanut butter lovers may want to try my chocolate peanut butter magic shell next!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Coconut oil - It's important to use refined coconut oil because it doesn't have the added coconut flavor. Unrefined coconut oil will also work, but keep in mind that your chocolate shell will have a coconut flavor. Readers have had success using vegetable oil as a substitute as well.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips - Can be substituted with milk chocolate chips for a less rich, sweeter chocolate flavor.
- Peppermint extract - Adds mint flavor to your magic shell. Extract can be omitted to make a plain chocolate magic shell.
Tips and tricks
Microwave in small increments - In a microwave safe dish, slowly melt your coconut oil and semi-sweet chocolate chips in 30 second increments. If chocolate chips are microwaved too long or at too high a heat, they can scorch.
Stir, stir, stir - If the container feels hot and the chocolate is partially melted, keep stirring. You may not need to continue microwaving at this point. Keep stirring until your chocolate sauce looks smooth.
Store at room temperature - If your magic shell is stored in the refrigerator, it will solidify. Instead, keep your magic shell stored at room temperature.
Frequently asked questions
Magic shell works on any frozen foods. A few other ways to use magic shell include dipping ice cream sandwiches, popsicles, frozen truffles, or frozen sliced fruits (like bananas or strawberries).
Magic shell will keep for up to two weeks in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
If you accidentally refrigerate your shell topping - no worries. Simply hold the container under hot tap water, or microwave in short bursts, until the shell has thawed again.
Magic shell hardens when it comes in contact with anything that's very cold. The cold freezes the chocolate into a hard, thin shell.
Chocolate Peppermint Magic Shell
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- In a small bowl, add chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until completely melted and combined. If preferred, you can melt over a double boiler on the stove top as well.
- Add peppermint extract and stir to combine.
- Pour over your favorite frozen treat and allow to harden (about one minute).
- Store extra shell topping in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
- If topping hardens, microwave in 10 second increments until desired consistency is achieved. Or, run sealed container under hot water.