Honey roasted parsnips and carrots make the perfect special occasion or holiday side dish. Sliced carrots and parsnips are tossed in honey and thyme, then oven roasted until tender.
Roasting vegetables is an easy and healthy way to add more vegetables to your meals. You'll love my recipe for honey roasted parsnips and carrots because it's quick and easy to add to a weeknight dinner. They're also fancy enough to serve at your next holiday meal!
Parsnips and carrots are naturally sweet and earthy. I've coated them in honey and thyme to accentuate their natural flavor. These roasted vegetables make a great side dish for Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, or alongside a quick weeknight meal.
Parsnips and carrots can be served with ham, beef roast, meatloaf, or roasted chicken.
Ingredients and substitutions
This recipe can be made with all parsnips, all carrots, or a combination of both.
I recommend cutting your parsnips and carrots on the bias (at an angle) in about ½ inch pieces. Or, slice into coins or ½ inch sticks.
Honey can be substituted with maple syrup.
Roasting your parsnips and carrots
I recommend using a half sheet pan to roast your vegetables, lined with parchment paper. Toss out your coated vegetables and arrange in a single layer.
Test to see if your vegetables are done by piercing through with a fork. If they are pierced easily with little resistance, your vegetables are cooked through and ready to serve.
Roasted vegetables are best served immediately from the oven.
Honey Roasted Parsnips and Carrots
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound parsnips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Clean and peel parsnips and carrots. Cut on the bias (at an angle) into ½ inch pieces. Or, slice into ½ inch coins. Place into a large bowl and set aside.
- Warm honey in a microwave safe bowl for 10 seconds, or until thinned slightly. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme, stirring until combined. Drizzle over vegetables and toss until evenly coated.
- Pour onto prepared sheet pan and spread into a single layer. Bake 21-23 minutes or until vegetables can easily be pierced through with a fork. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Recipe can be made with all carrots, all parsnips, or a combination of both.
- Baking time will vary based on thickness of vegetables. Thicker vegetables will take longer to cook through.
More roasted vegetable recipes
- Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- Parmesan and Red Pepper Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Buffalo Cauliflower
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes