Roasted zucchini and squash is a quick and easy side dish that’s ready in 20 minutes. Sliced zucchini and squash are coated in Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese then roasted in the oven.
Roasting vegetables is not only quick and easy, but a healthy way to get your daily dose of veggies each day. You’ll love this recipe for roasted zucchini and squash because it only takes 5 minutes of prep before they’re in the oven.
And with less than 20 minutes in the oven, this healthy side dish is ready in no time. Pair with a main dish like Baked Chicken Drumsticks or Skillet Flank Steak with Garlic Butter for a quick and healthy meal.
Zucchini and yellow squash are in abundance come summer time. Whether you have a home garden, frequent your local farmer’s market, or shop the sales at your local grocery store, you’re bound to see a lot of squash this time of year.
This recipe is a great way to use up excess summer squash, and bonus – it’s super flavorful! Zucchini and yellow squash are lightly seasoned with Italian seasoning and garlic powder, then parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top.
Parmesan cheese is my favorite topping for roasted vegetables because it adds tons of cheesy, salty flavor. You’re welcome to try a different cheese you happen to have on hand. However, I love how parmesan cheese creates a crispy, cheesy coating on top of the squash.
Roasting vegetables in the oven is my favorite hands-off way to cook healthy veggies for the entire family. Check out some of my other roasted vegetable recipes: Oven Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts, Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob with Seasoned Butter, Oven Roasted Cajun Sweet Potato Wedges and Parmesan and Red Pepper Roasted Broccoli.
How to cook summer squash
The cooking time may vary for your zucchini and squash. I used small zucchini and squash for my recipe. If you have particularly large sized squash on hand, you may have to cook them longer.
Try piercing them through the center with a fork to test for doneness. You want them to be cooked through, but not mushy. As always with cooking, use your instincts. If the squash looks done, take it out of the oven.
Ingredients, oven temperatures, and home humidity may vary person to person, so it’s best to use your eyes and common sense when cooking.
Roasted Zucchini and Squash
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 small yellow squash
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice zucchini and yellow squash into 1/2" discs. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add zucchini and yellow squash discs and toss to coat.
- Pour zucchini and squash onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread into a single layer. Sprinkle tops of zucchini and squash with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cooked through. Cooking time may vary based on size of zucchini and squash used.