Ground Beef Stroganoff is a hearty and comforting 30-minute skillet meal. Egg noodles, mushrooms, and ground beef are coated in a creamy sauce and made in a single pan.
Skillet meals are a favorite dinner for busy weeknights. This ground beef stroganoff comes together in a single saute pan, and is made with a handful of easy to find ingredients.
If you grew up on hamburger helper, this dish may be nostalgic for you. While the classic beef stroganoff (originating in Russia) is made with cubed beef and sour cream, this budget-friendly skillet meal is reminiscent of the classic American hamburger helper from a box.
The great part about this recipe is that it is made entirely from scratch, so you can rest easy knowing exactly what is going into your dinner. Egg noodles, mushrooms, onions, and ground beef are coated in a creamy and flavorful sour cream sauce.
For this recipe, you’ll need ground beef (I used 85/15 ground beef from Butcher Box), uncooked egg noodles, beef broth, sour cream, onions, mushrooms, butter, garlic, all-purpose flour, salt, dried thyme, and pepper.
The best part about this recipe is that the ingredients are common and easy to find – you may already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!
Preparing your skillet meal
In a saute pan over medium heat, melt your butter and cook your onions and mushrooms, adding the garlic in the last 30 seconds. Next, crumble your ground beef in the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned and cooked through.
Add the flour and toss to coat your beef. Cook for one minute, then add your beef broth, scraping to deglaze the pan.
Add your egg noodles, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer until pasta is al dente. At this point, most of your liquid should be absorbed by the pasta.
Last, add your sour cream and stir until incorporated. Allow your skillet to rest for 5 minutes before serving, to allow sauce to thicken.
More skillet meals
- Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet Meal
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- Leftover Turkey Alfredo Skillet Meal
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Orzo Skillet Meal
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 24 ounces beef broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles uncooked
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- In a saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add ground beef, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper, breaking ground beef apart into small pieces. Cook until beef is browned and cooked through. Add flour and stir to coat beef, cooking for one minute.
- Add beef broth and scrape to deglaze bottom of pan. Add egg noodles. Bring broth to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until pasta is al dente. Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Add sour cream and stir until incorporated. Remove pan from heat and allow to set for 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken before serving.
- Pasta skillet meals will continue to thicken as they stand - the starch from the pasta will help thicken your sauce, and the pasta will continue to absorb liquid. If your sauce looks thin, allow it to set, uncovered, until your sauce has thickened.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh parsley for color.
- Leftovers will reheat well the next day.
- Add more sour cream as desired for a creamier sauce.