Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet Meal is a from-scratch version of the classic Hamburger Helper. Beef and macaroni come together in a cheesy and flavorful seasoned sauce. All you need is a single pan and thirty minutes.
If you’ve been reading for a while, you know that I am all about cooking from scratch. I prefer the taste of natural flavors and seasonings to artificial flavors. The downside is that cooking from scratch can take extra time and effort, which sometimes we don’t have. That’s why I tried my best to make this cheeseburger macaroni skillet meal as quick and easy as possible. The entire dish is made in a single saute pan, and is packed with flavor! While it’s not exactly like the box version, I enjoy it even more.
Skillet meals have become a favorite of mine. Less dirty dishes means less cleanup and more free time outside the kitchen. This dish is no exception, as it comes together in a single pan. This recipe can be broken down into a few easy steps:
- Brown your ground beef and veggies.
- Add liquids, spices, and macaroni. Cook until al dente.
- Add cheese, allow to melt and sauce to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
You may have noticed something. I said veggies. Veggies?! Yep! I personally love vegetables, and try to include them in my meals wherever possible. In this recipe, I use onions, red bell pepper, and carrots. If you are opposed to these, feel free to omit the bell pepper and carrot. After all, they were not included in the original boxed Hamburger Helper (if you’re going for accuracy here). The onion provides so much flavor to the recipe that I wouldn’t recommend excluding it.
Optional additions: If you want a SUPER creamy sauce, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream with the shredded cheese. If you want to add a kick of flavor, add a dash of hot sauce.
Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet Meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces macaroni uncooked
- 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese freshly grated
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Crumble ground beef into pan and add onion, bell pepper, and carrot. Cook until beef is browned. Drain excess grease from pan if needed.
- Add paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, beef broth, milk, and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 8 minutes, or until macaroni is al dente (refer to macaroni package directions).
- Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese and stir to combine. Allow to set for 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt and sauce to thicken.
- Optionally, top with more cheese, green onions, or sliced cherry tomatoes before serving.