Ready in just 30 minutes, this Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal comes together in a single pan. Ground beef, pasta, bell peppers, and onions are coated in a creamy cheese sauce.
You’re going to love this cheesesteak pasta skillet meal because it’s quick, easy, ready in 30 minutes, and made in a single pan.
I took the flavors of a reader favorite recipe, Cheesesteak Style Sloppy Joes, and turned them into a pasta skillet meal. Filled with flavor, cheesy, and a favorite of the whole family!
This dish makes the perfect weeknight comfort meal. If you grew up on hamburger helper, this meal may bring back a bit of nostalgia for you.
Ingredients and substitutions
I used a cavatappi pasta, but you’re welcome to use any pasta you have on hand. Other good choices would be elbow macaroni, farfalle (bow ties), shells, or penne. Any medium sized pasta should do the trick.
Beef broth can be substituted with chicken broth.
Monterey jack cheese can be substituted with pepper jack cheese or sharp cheddar cheese. No matter what type of cheese is used, I recommend freshly grating your cheese from a block.
Pre-shredded cheeses are often coated in a powder to prevent clumping. When melted, this can make your sauce grainy. To prevent this, I grate my own cheese.
Love mushrooms? They’d make a great addition in this recipe. Toss a handful of diced mushrooms in while cooking your bell pepper and onion.
Thickening your sauce
This recipe does not contain any thickening agents like flour or cornstarch.
That’s because we’re using the starches released by the cooking pasta to help thicken our sauce naturally.
If your sauce looks thin, remove your finished dish from the heat and allow it to set, uncovered, for up to 5 minutes. Your sauce will continue to thicken as it stands.
Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 8 ounces cavatappi pasta uncooked
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded*
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. When melted, crumble ground beef, onion, and bell pepper to pan. Allow to brown, undisturbed, until you see brown, crisp edges on the ground beef. Flip over and redistribute, allowing the other side to brown.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add worchestershire sauce, beef broth, water, and pasta to pan. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 11 minutes (or to "al dente" according to your pasta's package directions).
- Remove lid. Most of liquid should be absorbed. Add heavy cream and shredded cheese to pan. Stir until cheese has melted. Remove from heat and allow to set for five minutes for sauce to thicken.
More skillet meals
- One Pot Creamy Pasta Primavera
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- One Pan Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo