Light and refreshing, you'll love this easy watermelon cocktail recipe. It's made from scratch using fresh watermelon juice. Sure to be your new favorite summer cocktail!
This watermelon cocktail will be your go-to drink for the summer. A refreshing and sweet cocktail, it's made with fresh watermelon and lime juice served over ice.
Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur that adds just a hint of citrus flavor that pairs well with watermelon. I chose vodka for this recipe, but you're welcome to use rum instead if you prefer.
Serve a batch of watermelon cocktails at your next summer pool party or picnic, like the Fourth of July.
What kind of watermelon should I use?
I've tried this recipe with both seedless and seeded watermelon. Both will work, but keep in mind that you'll want to remove any black seeds before blending your watermelon.
Technically, you can blend watermelon seeds. They're also perfectly fine to eat. However, I recommend removing them beforehand. Any soft white seeds (which are just immature black seeds) do not need to be removed.
You'll also be straining your watermelon juice through a fine mesh sieve, which will catch any remaining seed pieces.
First, cut your watermelon into chunks and toss them in the blender. Then, pulse gently a few times to get the watermelon started.
After that, it takes only a few seconds for the watermelon to blend into a smooth slushy liquid.
Once your watermelon is liquefied, you're going to need to strain it through a fine mesh sieve before adding it to your drink. Any watermelon pulp left over in your sieve can be discarded.
- 1 pound seedless watermelon cubes
- 3 ounces vodka
- 3 ounces triple sec
- 2 limes juiced
- In a blender, add cubed watermelon. Pulse until liquefied. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Combine watermelon juice, vodka, triple sec, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until combined. Pour over ice in a highball glass. Serve and enjoy.
- 1 pound of cubed watermelon = about 3 cups
- Remove any black seeds from your watermelon before blending. Soft white seeds are fine.
- Vodka can be substituted with your favorite clear rum.
- Optionally, garnish with fresh mint leaves, a cube of watermelon on the rim, or an orange slice.