Pineapple rum slush is a smooth and sweet alcoholic beverage that's made with just three ingredients in a blender. This tropical drink is made with frozen pineapple, rum, and coconut water.
This pineapple rum slush is a smooth frozen alcoholic drink that's made in the blender. With just three ingredients you'll have a fruity and fun summer drink to enjoy by yourself or with friends.
Frozen pineapple is the key ingredient in this recipe. If you don't have frozen pineapple, you can freeze your own in chunks beforehand. Coconut water gives this drink a tropical feel, but can be swapped with pineapple juice for a stronger pineapple flavor.
Add a splash of rum to top off this fun summer drink - or omit for an alcohol-free version.
For this recipe, you'll need coconut water, frozen pineapple chunks, and rum.
For the rum, simply use your favorite - dark rum, coconut rum, clear rum - or you can substitute with vodka or tequila.
Coconut water can be substituted with pineapple juice or orange juice.
How to freeze pineapple
For this recipe, I bought a 16 ounce bag of Dole Pineapple Chunks in the freezer aisle, which makes exactly two drinks. If you can't find frozen pineapple, you can prep your own the day before.
Slice your pineapple into chunks and spread onto a parchment/wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze for a few hours or overnight, then store them in a freezer bag until ready to use.
Blending your drink
Simply add your ingredients, liquid first, into a blender. Seal with a lid and blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy, with no lumps.
If your drink is too thick, add more coconut water as needed.
Coconut water substitutes
If you don't like or have coconut water, you can easily substitute it with coconut milk, pineapple juice, or orange juice. You'll need the liquid in your drink to thin out the frozen pineapple and create a slush, so don't omit it entirely.
You can also use water, but I suggest using juice to add extra fruit flavor to your slush.
Lower calorie version
If you'd like to make this drink lower in calories, I suggest substituting half of your frozen pineapple with ice. This will give your drink a slushy/icy type texture.
I serve my pineapple rum slush in a highball glass like these, but feel free to use what you have on hand. Pineapple chunks, orange slices, or mint leaves make a great garnish.
Pineapple Rum Slush
- 16 ounces cubed frozen pineapple
- ¾ cup coconut water, or pineapple juice
- 3 ounces rum, *
- (Optional) Set aside two pineapple cubes to use as a garnish, slicing them halfway through and placing on the glass rim.
- Pour the coconut water and rum into a blender. Add pineapple cubes and cover. Blend until mixture is smooth and no chunks remain. If mixture is too thick or difficult to blend, add another ¼ cup of coconut water.
- Taste and add more rum as desired.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy.
- *3 ounces = 6 tablespoons = 2 filled shot glasses
- Clear rum can be substituted with dark, spiced, coconut, or another fruit flavored rum.
- Coconut water can be substituted with coconut milk, pineapple juice, or orange juice.
- Low calorie version: substitute half of the frozen pineapple with ice.
- Non-alcoholic version: substitute the rum with more coconut water.
- If you are using out of season/frozen pineapple that's not as sweet as usual, you may want to use pineapple juice instead of coconut water to give some additional sweetness and pineapple flavor to your drinks.