This Irish buck is a refreshing cocktail made with ginger ale, Irish whiskey, and lime juice. A simple recipe that's easy to whip up at home and customize with your favorite whiskey.
Sometimes, all you need is a simple highball cocktail. The Irish buck is an easy drink to make at home - all you need is ginger ale (or ginger beer), Irish whiskey, and citrus juice.
A buck is any cocktail made with ginger ale, a spirit, and citrus juice. You may know one famous version, the Dark 'n Stormy (made with dark rum), which is so popular it earned its own name. Mixed in a tall glass over ice, this drink is easy to make and enjoy quickly - no shaker needed.
Make an Irish buck any time of year - it's refreshing in the hot summer months, and has a hint of warmth that's comforting in the winter. It's also perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Ginger ale - I tested this recipe with both ginger ale and ginger beer and preferred the taste of the lighter, sweeter ginger ale. Ginger beer adds a stronger ginger flavor that's slightly less sweet. If you enjoy ginger beer, you may prefer it in your Irish buck.
- Irish whiskey - If you'd like to make an Irish buck, choose your favorite Irish whiskey for this recipe. We used Jameson in our testing. Tullamore Dew and Bushmills are other popular brands.
- Citrus juice - I used lime juice, but lemon juice will also work.
What is a buck?
A buck is a cocktail made with ginger ale (or ginger beer), spirits, and citrus juice. Bucks are sometimes called mules because of the popular buck made with vodka, the Moscow mule.
Best whiskey to use
Jameson is a great choice because it's easy to find and fairly inexpensive. Tullamore Dew and Bushmills are two other popular brands. If you have a favorite, use it. This ensures you'll enjoy the taste of your cocktail.
For more information on Irish whiskey: Town and Country Magazine - 13 of the Best Irish Whiskies to Try Now
- Irish buck - made with Irish whiskey
- Kentucky buck - made with Kentucky bourbon
- Gin buck - made with gin
- Vodka buck - also known as a Moscow mule, made with vodka
- Dark 'n Stormy - made with dark rum
Fun fact: The Moscow mule was responsible for the popularity of vodka in the early 1900s, and was the first time that a cocktail was used to promote a specific spirit. The drink was created to help boost sales of two underperforming items - ginger beer and vodka.
- 1.5 ounces Irish whiskey
- .25 ounce lime juice
- 3 ounces ginger ale, or ginger beer
- 1 lime slice
- Fill a highball glass with ice. Add Irish whiskey and lime juice, then top with ginger ale. Stir briefly to combine.
- Garnish with a lime slice and serve.
- Ginger ale adds a lighter, sweeter flavor, while ginger beer adds a stronger, more carbonated ginger flavor that's less sweet. An Irish buck can be made with either - your choice.
- Lime juice can be substituted with lemon juice for a slightly different flavor.