This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Galettes are a beautifully rustic dessert, and I believe any level of baker can make one with ease. Today I want to share with you a recipe for my Mini Apple Galettes. These tiny desserts are sweet with a hint of autumn spice, and a flaky, buttery crust. Individual pies make for a beautiful presentation at a dinner party and take away the need to cut and serve slices. Plus, they’re adorable!
If you’re intimidated by making your own pie crust, feel free to buy a pre-made crust at the grocery store. While I enjoy the taste and flakiness of a freshly made pie crust, store bought is pretty close to the real thing. Plus, it saves some time in the kitchen.
I personally love to top my mini apple galettes with a nice dollop of whipped cream. However, vanilla ice cream would be a great addition too – especially if you are serving these warm. Yum.
I like to sprinkle a bit of turbinado sugar on top of my egg wash, just before the galettes go into the oven. If you don’t have any on hand, granulated sugar also works great. This will make a crispy, sugary crust on the top of your pie as it bakes. This step is entirely optional, but I recommend it.
Mini Apple Galettes
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter chilled
- 4-5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 medium green apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Egg Wash and Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
- Pie Crust: In a food processor (or a bowl) combine flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse (or cut) butter into flour mixture. Continue to pulse a few more times until butter is in pea sized chunks. Pulse in ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough begins to come together. (Test your dough by pinching some together with your fingers. If it holds together, it is ready.) Remove from food processor (or bowl) onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic. Place in refrigerator to chill for one hour (or up to two days).
- Apple Filling: Peel and dice apples into 1 inch cubes and place into a medium bowl. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and vanilla extract. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and separate into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a rough circle, about 1/8" thick.
- Remove apples from refrigerator and scoop about 1/3 of a cup of apple filling onto the center of each dough circle. Fold dough up around apple filling and pinch together, leaving a 'window' on the top.
- Egg Wash: Whisk together the egg and water. Gently brush egg wash over each galette to coat the crust. Sprinkle sugar over egg wash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring off baking sheet. May be served warm or room temperature.
Last Updated on