Fluffy White Cupcakes with Strawberry Filling are simple, yet elegant enough for any occasion. The cake is light and soft, with a sweet strawberry filling, topped with a rich cream cheese frosting.
Today’s recipe is for my Fluffy White Cupcakes with Strawberry Filling. These cupcakes are definitely a special occasion treat. There are a few extra steps to create these soft, delicate cupcakes and their sweet fruity filling.
Not to mention the creamy, slightly tangy cream cheese frosting. But it’s all worth it, I promise!
I also have an amazing Homemade Chocolate Cupcake recipe that’s a must try. It makes an amazingly moist and rich chocolate cupcake.
First, I use cake flour in these cupcakes. Cake flour is slightly lower in protein content than all-purpose flour. It creates a more tender cake. In my local grocery stores, I can find Swans Down cake flour right beside the all-purpose flour. I think it’s worth it to keep on hand for cake recipes.
Egg whites will make your cake light and fluffy. I was looking for a soft and light cake, and egg whites definitely did the trick.
As for the strawberry filling, I took a shortcut here, but it makes the cupcakes much quicker to put together. I simply used chopped fresh strawberries mixed with a pre-made strawberry pie glaze.
I used Marzetti’s Strawberry Glaze, which can be found in the produce section near the strawberries. With all the work that goes into the cupcakes, I don’t mind that this filling is simple to make!
To top it all off, I decided to use a cream cheese buttercream frosting. I like cream cheese buttercream as opposed to a plain buttercream because it is a little less sweet. You are welcome to try a regular buttercream, or even a whipped cream frosting to top off your cupcakes. I think they would all make an excellent choice.
Fluffy White Cupcakes with Strawberry Filling
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 1/4 cup strawberry pie glaze
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk (or sift) together the dry ingredients: cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, 1 cup of the granulated sugar, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk, until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Then, add the remaining 1/4 cup of granulated sugar and beat until glossy, stiff peaks form. This will take about 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overbeat. Gently fold half of egg whites into cake batter until combined. Then fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring cupcakes to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a bowl, add chopped strawberries and strawberry glaze, stirring to combine. Add more strawberry glaze as needed to coat strawberries. Spoon strawberry filling into a plastic bag and cut one corner of the bag.
- Using a cupcake corer or a sharp knife, cut a small hole into the middle of each cupcake, about 1 inch deep. Make sure not to cut to the bottom of the cupcake. Pipe strawberry filling into each hole, filling to the top.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until combined. Add vanilla and half off the powdered sugar, mixing slowly to combine. Add remaining powdered sugar and mix slowly to combine. Once incorporated, beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread frosting with a knife onto cupcakes and serve.