There’s nothing more comforting than this creamy chicken tortellini soup. Filled with cheese tortellini, chicken, and plenty of vegetables, this creamy soup is ready in just 30 minutes and made in a single pot.
Creamy chicken tortellini soup has a mild flavor and makes the perfect comfort meal. I like to make this soup when it’s cold outside. But, it’s also light enough to make as a summertime dinner, too.
This soup makes a fantastic weeknight meal. First of all, it’s quick and requires only simple ingredients.
Second, it’s absolutely filled with flavor. Third, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutions
I used refrigerated cheese tortellini in this soup, but any pasta or other type of tortellin can be used instead. Take note of the cooking times on your pasta’s package directions and adjust the recipe accordingly.
A cooked and shredded rotisserie chicken can also be used in this recipe – simply skip the step of cooking your chicken and move on to the next step.
Vegetables are a big component of this soup – it’s packed with carrots, celery, onions, and spinach. You can also add a handful of kale in while your tortellini is cooking, instead of spinach.
The liquid in this recipe is absorbed as the pasta cooks, so feel free to add more as necessary. Use your best judgement – if you think you need more broth, add more.
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounce package of tortellini
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter. Add cubed chicken to pot. Brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, onions, carrots, and celery to pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions begin to turn translucent and vegetables begin to soften. (vegetables will continue to cook throughout next step). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add flour to vegetables, stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, and tortellini. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 8 minutes, or until tortellini are cooked through.
- Add half & half, spinach, and cooked chicken, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 1 additional minute on low heat.
- Remove from heat, ladle into bowls, and top with parsley. Serve and enjoy.
More soup recipes
- Hash Brown Potato Broccoli Soup
- Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Spring Vegetable Soup
- One Pot Beef Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Soup