There’s not a more comforting dinner than this Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup. Filled with cheese tortellini, chicken, and plenty of vegetables, this creamy soup is ready in just 30 minutes in a single pot.
This soup makes a fantastic weeknight meal. First of all, it’s quick and requires only simple ingredients. Second, it’s absolutely filled with flavor. Third, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
Creamy chicken tortellini soup has a mild flavor and makes the perfect comfort meal. I like to make this soup when it’s cold outside. But, it’s also light enough to make as a summertime dinner, too.
Vegetables are a big component of this soup – it’s packed with carrots, celery, onions, and spinach. You can also add a handful of kale in while your tortellini is cooking instead of spinach, if that’s what you have on hand.
Refrigerated or frozen tortellini comes in packages of varying sizes. I purchase the smaller 9-10 ounce refrigerated packages (like Bertolli) to make a recipe like this one. However, you’re welcome to use your favorite brand or type.
You can also substitute the tortellini for regular pasta if that’s what you have available. Simply cook for as long as the package indicates. Note that if you add more pasta than what is indicated in the recipe, you may also need to add more liquid.
The liquid is absorbed as the pasta cooks, so feel free to add more as necessary. Use your best judgement – if you think you need more broth, add more.
Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounce package of tortellini
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter. Add cubed chicken to pot. Brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, onions, carrots, and celery to pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions begin to turn translucent and vegetables begin to soften. (vegetables will continue to cook throughout next step). Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add flour to vegetables, stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, water, and tortellini. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 8 minutes, or until tortellini are cooked through.
- Add half & half, spinach, and cooked chicken, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 1 additional minute on low heat.
- Remove from heat, ladle into bowls, and top with parsley. Serve and enjoy.