Make your own freezer garlic bread today. Fresh French bread is thick-sliced and slathered in a cheesy garlic butter spread. Easy to make ahead and freeze for future dinners!
Homemade freezer garlic bread is so easy to make ahead and keep on hand for quick meals. One batch will keep in the freezer for up to six months. Plus, it's got so much more flavor than the store bought stuff!
Thick slices of fresh French bread are slathered in a homemade cheesy garlic butter. Your garlic bread can go straight from the freezer to the oven, and it's ready in less than ten minutes.
What type of bread to use
Making your own homemade garlic bread is incredibly easy. First, you'll want to pick up a fresh loaf of bread from your local bakery.
I got a 12 ounce loaf of french bread from the bakery section of my local Publix. I recommend buying your bread on the day you plan to prepare your garlic bread, so it's as fresh as possible.
Any type of crusty bread will work great for this recipe - I've also used slices of homemade sourdough bread with great success.
Freezing and storing garlic bread
Transfer your baking sheet of garlic bread slices to the freezer and freeze for 1-2 hours. We do this so that when the bread freezes, the slices won't stick together. Now they're ready to pack up and store.
Your frozen slices can be stored in gallon sized freezer bags or any freezer safe container with a tight seal. Or, wrap your pieces individually in wax paper and foil.
As long as they're sealed tightly, your garlic bread should last in the freezer for up to six months.
What to serve with garlic bread
So, what can you serve with a batch of homemade garlic bread? Here are my favorite meal pairings:
- One Pot Beef Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Chili
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with your favorite pasta
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Baked Ziti with Spinach
- Italian Sloppy Joes - substitute the bun with garlic bread
- As an appetizer: pair with Homemade Alfredo Sauce as a dipping sauce
Freezer Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Line a baking sheet (that will fit into your freezer) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice a loaf of french bread into about 1 to 1 ¼ inch pieces and place in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet.
- In a bowl, add softened butter, minced garlic, salt, parsley, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread butter mixture evenly onto bread slices.
- Place baking sheet into freezer for 1-2 hours or until bread is frozen solid. Transfer frozen bread into freezer safe bags or containers, or wrap in wax paper and foil.
- To prepare: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place garlic bread slices onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown around edges and lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.
- Frozen garlic bread will keep in the freezer for up to six months, in a well sealed container.
- I recommend buying fresh bread the day you intend to prepare your garlic bread for best results.
- Using a serrated knife will help you slice your bread easily.
- Test to make sure your baking sheet fits into your freezer before you start. If needed, use a smaller baking sheet and layer a piece of wax paper or parchment paper between multiple layers of garlic bread.