Make your own freezer garlic bread today. Fresh French bread is thick-sliced and slathered in a cheesy garlic butter spread. Keeps in the freezer for six months.
You’ll love my freezer garlic bread because it’s so fun and easy to make your own. Not to mention you can customize your garlic bread to suit your tastes. Plus, using fresh garlic gives this bread some amazing flavor!
This recipe will make 20 or more pieces of garlic bread, depending on the size of your french bread loaf.
I especially love making sliced garlic bread because it’s easy to grab as many servings as you need, without making an entire loaf of garlic bread at once.
What type of bread to use
Making your own homemade garlic bread is incredibly easy. First, you’ll want to pick up a fresh loaf of bread from your local bakery.
I got a loaf of french bread from the bakery section of my local Publix. I recommend buying your bread on the day you plan to prepare your garlic bread, so it’s as fresh as possible.
Any type of crusty bread will work great for this recipe – I’ve also used slices of homemade sourdough bread with great success.
Freezing and storing garlic bread
Transfer your baking sheet of garlic bread slices to the freezer and freeze for 1-2 hours. We do this so that when the bread freezes, the slices won’t stick together. Now they’re ready to pack up and store.
I store the slices in two gallon sized freezer bags. You can also seal them in a freezer safe container, or wrap them in wax paper and foil.
As long as they’re sealed tightly, your garlic bread should last in the freezer for up to six months.
Freezer Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf french bread
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Line a baking sheet (that will fit into your freezer) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice a loaf of french bread into about 1 to 1 1/4 inch pieces and place in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet.
- In a bowl, add softened butter, minced garlic, salt, parsley, garlic powder, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spread butter mixture evenly onto bread slices.
- Place baking sheet into freezer for 1-2 hours or until bread is frozen solid. Transfer frozen bread into freezer safe bags or containers, or wrap in wax paper and foil.
- To prepare: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place garlic bread slices onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown around edges and lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.
- Frozen garlic bread will keep in the freezer for up to six months, in a well sealed container.
- I recommend buying fresh bread the day you intend to prepare your garlic bread for best results.
- Using a serrated knife will help you slice your bread easily.
- Test to make sure your baking sheet fits into your freezer before you start. If needed, use a smaller baking sheet and layer a piece of wax paper or parchment paper between multiple layers of garlic bread.
More bread recipes
- Garlic Bread Cheese Bombs
- Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
- Skillet Cornbread
- Jalapeño Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits
- Banana Nut Bread