Strawberry muddy buddies, also known as puppy chow, is a sweet and crunchy treat that's perfect for Valentine's Day, party favor bags, and snacking. Chex cereal is coated in white chocolate and tossed in a strawberry sugar mixture.
If you're looking for a sweet and fruity treat, you're going to love this recipe for strawberry muddy buddies (AKA puppy chow). It's sweet, crunchy, and filled with real strawberry flavor.
This dessert snack mix is made with just four ingredients - chex cereal, white chocolate, freeze-dried strawberries, and confectioner's sugar. In just 15 minutes you'll have a sweet treat that's perfect for Valentine's Day, birthday parties, baby showers, or everyday snacking.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chex cereal - I recommend using rice chex (pictured) or corn chex. However, any type of plain chex works as a substitute - choose your favorite.
- White chocolate chips can be substituted with white chocolate melting wafers.
- Freeze-dried strawberries - These are a must, they add the strawberry flavor and pink color to your muddy buddies. Either use freeze-dried strawberries that are processed into a powder, or purchase freeze-dried strawberry powder.
- Confectioner's sugar - Coats your cereal mixture and clings to the white chocolate coating.
Tips and tricks
Freeze-dried strawberries - For this recipe, you'll need freeze dried strawberries as well as a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Crunchies brand of freeze-dried strawberries is the brand I like to use. It is available in a .8 ounce bag (the exact amount needed for this recipe).
How to make strawberry powder - Add your freeze-dried strawberries to the bowl of a food processor and grind until they resemble a fine powder. It should only take about ten seconds.
Serve a crowd - As written, this recipe makes about eight half-cup servings. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
Mix in a bowl or bag - For easy cleanup, mix your muddy buddies in a large, gallon-sized plastic bag. It's easy to seal and shake to mix. Otherwise, a large bowl and spoon can get the job done.
Excess sugar? - Don't worry if you see excess confectioner's sugar in the bottom of the bag or bowl. Not all of the sugar is meant to stick on the cereal - this is normal.
Frequently asked questions
Muddy buddies is also known as puppy chow, reindeer chow, reindeer mix, or muddy munch.
It should go without saying, but (after receiving several comments about this) muddy buddies is for humans only, not dogs. This popular American snack was nicknamed "puppy chow" due to its similar look to the dog food with the same name.
For more information, check out: Wikipedia: Puppy chow (snack)
Allow your muddy buddies to dry completely before storing. Otherwise, the wet chocolate can build up moisture in the container it's stored in and make the cereal soggy.
Muddy buddies will last about 1 week when stored in a tightly sealed container at room temperature, but is best within 3 to 4 days.
No, it can be stored safely at room temperature. I'd recommend storing in the refrigerator if your home is very warm and the chocolate begins to melt.
Yes! I'd recommend adding in about 1 cup of mix-ins for every 4 cups of chex cereal used. Here are a few ideas to get you started: mini pretzels, mini marshmallows, M&M's candies, crushed cookie pieces, almonds, or cashews.
No, this recipe only works using freeze-dried strawberries because the moisture has been removed. This not only concentrates the flavor, but also allows us to use it in recipes where excess moisture would make the other ingredients soggy.
Strawberry Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, or melting wafers
- .8 ounces freeze-dried strawberries
- ⅓ cup confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, add cereal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments until chips are melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir carefully to fully cover but not break the cereal. Pour cereal mixture into a large gallon size plastic bag.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, grind freeze dried strawberries into a powder.
- Pour ground strawberry powder and confectioner's sugar over cereal and seal bag. Shake to evenly coat cereal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour cereal mixture into a single layer. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until chocolate has hardened). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Puppy chow will keep for up to a week in a tightly sealed container at room temperature, and will start to lose its crunch over time.
- Optional mix-ins. Try adding 1 cup of mix-ins for every 4 cups of cereal used: pretzels, m&m's candies, or cookie pieces.
- For a large party, try doubling or tripling this recipe.