Strawberry Puppy Chow Snack Mix is a sweet and crunchy treat that's perfect for Valentine's Day, party favor bags, and snacking. Chex cereal is coated in white chocolate and tossed in a strawberry sugar mixture.
If you're looking for a sweet and fruity treat, you're going to love this recipe for strawberry puppy chow. It's sweet, crunchy, and filled with real strawberry flavor.
This dessert snack mix is made with just four ingredients - chex cereal, white chocolate, freeze-dried strawberries, and confectioner's sugar. In just 15 minutes you'll have a sweet treat that's perfect for Valentine's Day, birthday parties, baby showers, or everyday snacking.
What is puppy chow?
Despite the name, puppy chow is the perfect snack for humans - not dogs. So don't feed this snack to your four legged friends!
According to Wikipedia, "The snack's name is based upon its look and consistency, which can resemble the Dog Chow brand of dog food in its appearance."
This sweet snack also goes by the names Muddy Buddies, Reindeer Chow, Monkey Munch, or Muddy Munch. No matter what you call it - I think we can all agree, it is absolutely delicious and addictive!
Ingredients and substitutions
I recommend using rice chex (pictured) or corn chex. However, the great part about chex cereal is that it's made in many varieties and can accommodate any allergies that may be present in your household.
This recipe will work with any type of chex cereal, so choose one that works for you.
White chocolate chips can also be substituted with white chocolate melting wafers.
For this recipe, you'll need some freeze dried strawberries, as well as a way to grind them into powder. I suggest a food processor or spice/coffee grinder.
Crunchies brand of freeze-dried strawberries is the brand I like to use. It is available in a .8 ounce bag (the exact amount needed for this recipe), and is available at my local Publix grocer.
Simply add your strawberries and grind until they resemble a fine powder - this took about 8-10 seconds with my food processor.
Mixing your chex mix
Your chex snack mix can be prepared in a gallon sized freezer bag (as shown), or in a large bowl.
I recommend using a large bowl with extra space to toss your ingredients and get them evenly coated.
Store any leftover snack mix in a sealed container at room temperature.
Strawberry Puppy Chow Snack Mix
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- .8 ounces freeze-dried strawberries
- ⅓ cup confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, add cereal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments until chips are melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir carefully to fully cover but not break the cereal. Pour cereal mixture into a large gallon size plastic bag.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, grind freeze dried strawberries into a powder.
- Pour ground strawberry powder and confectioner's sugar over cereal and seal bag. Shake to evenly coat cereal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour cereal mixture into a single layer. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until chocolate has hardened). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Any chex cereal can be used, but I prefer rice or corn.
- Using a plastic bag is optional, you can toss your cereal to coat in the original bowl you were using, or in a paper bag.
- Mixing in a bowl will be a bit messier, so I suggest using an apron and a large bowl with extra space, in case powdered sugar goes flying.
- Optional mix-ins. Try adding 1 cup of mix-ins for every 4 cups of cereal used: pretzels, m&m's candies, or cookie pieces.
- For a large party, try doubling or tripling this recipe.