Make a batch of Christmas muddy buddies (AKA puppy chow) to celebrate the holiday season. Chex cereal is coated in a creamy peppermint white chocolate and dusted in confectioner's sugar with seasonal sprinkles.
Muddy buddies snack mix, also known as "puppy chow" or "reindeer chow", is a sweet snack mix made with chex cereal.
Coated in peppermint white chocolate and dusted in confectioner's sugar, this sweet holiday treat comes together in just a few minutes. Plus, there's no need to turn on the oven. It's an easy no-bake candy treat!
Make a batch of Christmas muddy buddies to snack on for holiday movie night, or to give as a gift in a decorative tin. It makes a great addition to an appetizer or dessert table at your next holiday party.
What is puppy chow?
Despite the name, puppy chow is the perfect snack for humans - not dogs. So don't feed this snack to your four legged friends!
According to Wikipedia, "The snack's name is based upon its look and consistency, which can resemble the Dog Chow brand of dog food in its appearance."
This sweet snack also goes by the following names: muddy buddies, reindeer chow, monkey munch, or muddy munch. Depending on where you live, you may have called it any one of these names.
No matter what you call it - I think we can all agree, it is absolutely delicious and addictive!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chex cereal - Any type can be used in this recipe. I recommend rice chex, but corn chex would also work well.
- White chocolate chips - Can be substituted with white melting wafers if desired. Melting wafers melt more easily and would make a great choice for this recipe, but white chocolate chips are generally cheaper and easier to find.
- Nonpareils - Which are tiny round sprinkles, or jimmies, both work well in this recipe. Use any colors you'd like to match the occasion.
- Peppermint extract - Can be substituted with vanilla extract for a different flavor.
Make ahead and storage
Puppy chow/muddy buddies is best enjoyed within 3-4 days after preparing. If stored in a tightly sealed container, it will last for up to a week, but will begin to lose its crunch.
Puppy chow does not need to be refrigerated - it can be stored safely at room temperature.
If left in a hot car or outside on a hot day, the chocolate may begin to melt. It is best kept indoors or in the shade if serving outside.
Can I add candy canes?
Many peppermint puppy chow recipes include crushed candy canes. If you'd like, you can use crushed candy canes to add peppermint flavor instead of using peppermint extract.
Simply add 3 or 4 standard size candy canes to a plastic bag, seal, and lightly hammer with a rolling pin until crushed into tiny pieces.
Add your crushed candy canes when you'd add your sprinkles. This way, they'll adhere easily to the melted chocolate. You're also welcome to omit the sprinkles and rely on the candy canes to add color.
Christmas Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow)
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips, or melting wafers
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons nonpareil sprinkles
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, add cereal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments until chips are melted and smooth. Add peppermint extract and stir to combine. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir carefully to fully cover but not break the cereal. Pour cereal mixture into a large gallon size plastic bag.
- Add sprinkles and seal bag. Shake to evenly coat cereal.
- Add confectioner's sugar and seal bag. Shake to evenly coat cereal. Not all of your sugar and sprinkles will stick - this is normal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour cereal mixture into a single layer. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until chocolate has hardened). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- 1 serving = about ½ heaping cup of snack mix
- Rice chex is ideal for this recipe, but corn chex or wheat chex, or a combination of several flavors, will work.
- Snack mix will keep for 3-4 days in a sealed container at room temperature.
- Puppy chow, also known as muddy buddies or reindeer chow, is meant for human consumption. It should not be fed to animals.
Leave a Reply