Lemon Puppy Chow Snack Mix is a sweet citrus candy treat made from chex cereal, white chocolate, and fresh lemon zest. Ready in just fifteen minutes, you’ll love this twist on the classic puppy chow snack, sometimes called “muddy buddies”.
If you love lemon dessert, you’re going to absolutely love this Lemon Puppy Chow Snack Mix. It’s ready in just a few minutes, and requires only four ingredients. Plus, it’s crunchy, great to snack on, and filled with sweet lemon flavor.
I love puppy chow because it’s a quick an easy snack to make for a crowd. This recipe is easy to double or triple, depending on your hunger level or quantity of guests.
My favorite ingredient? Fresh lemon zest. This gives your puppy chow that fresh and vibrant lemon flavor. I love using fresh ingredients whenever possible. For this recipe, fresh lemon zest is a must.
The great part about using chex cereal is that you can choose your favorite type based on preference or dietary restrictions. Chex has several options, including corn, rice, and wheat chex. The corn and rice varieties are gluten-free.
This recipe will work with any type of chex cereal, so feel free to use your favorite. I used rice chex, which is what is shown in the photos.
Lemon Puppy Chow Snack Mix
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, add cereal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments until chips are melted and smooth. Add lemon zest to chocolate and stir to combine. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir carefully to fully cover but not break the cereal. Pour cereal mixture into a large gallon size plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar to bag, close bag, and shake to evenly coat cereal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour cereal mixture into a single layer. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until chocolate has hardened). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.