Lemon Puppy Chow Snack Mix is a sweet citrus candy treat made from chex cereal, white chocolate, and fresh lemon zest. Ready in just fifteen minutes, you’ll love this twist on the classic puppy chow snack, sometimes called “muddy buddies”.
This lemon puppy chow is ready in just a few minutes, and requires only four ingredients. Plus, it’s crunchy, great for snacking, and filled with sweet lemon flavor.
I love puppy chow because it’s a quick an easy snack to make for a crowd. This recipe is easy to double or triple, depending on your hunger level or quantity of guests.
My favorite ingredient? Fresh lemon zest. This gives your puppy chow that fresh and vibrant lemon flavor.
What is puppy chow?
Despite the name, puppy chow snack mix is made for humans – not dogs! Puppy chow got its name due to its similar look to the dog food of the same name.
Puppy chow is a snack mix made with chex cereal, often coated in peanut butter, chocolate, and confectioner’s sugar. However, there are many variations and it is a popular snack in the United States. It is sometimes referred to as reindeer chow or muddy buddies.
For more information on the history of the puppy chow snack, check out this website: Wikipedia: Puppy Chow (Snack)
The great part about using chex cereal is that they offer many varieties to suit your tastes and allergy needs.
I like to use rice chex or corn chex in my puppy chow recipes. However, you can also use wheat chex, or a variety of all three, if you prefer.
Lemon Puppy Chow Snack Mix
- 4 cups chex cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, add cereal. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave white chocolate chips for 30 seconds, stir. Microwave for additional 30 second increments until chips are melted and smooth. Add lemon zest to chocolate and stir to combine. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir carefully to fully cover but not break the cereal. Pour cereal mixture into a large gallon size plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar to bag, close bag, and shake to evenly coat cereal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and pour cereal mixture into a single layer. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes (or until chocolate has hardened). Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.