Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats are a fun and fruity twist on the classic recipe you’ve known since childhood. The addition of strawberries is the only extra ingredient you’ll need to make these pink, gooey, marshmallow-filled treats.
Strawberry rice krispies treats are perfect for Valentine’s day, summer picnics, or just because. These sweet dessert bars only take four ingredients to make, and about 20 minutes of your time.
You’re probably familiar with the classic rice krispies treat – gooey marshmallows and butter mixed with crunchy rice krispies cereal. My strawberry version only needs one extra ingredient. What is it?
Freeze dried strawberries! I love baking with freeze dried strawberries because the strawberry flavor is concentrated, and the flavor is from actual strawberries, not some artificial flavoring.
Plus, it’s easy to add freeze-dried strawberries to things like cookies without adding tons of moisture, like fresh strawberries would. And if you’re looking to make your cookies/frosting/cakes pink, this is a great way to do so without adding artificial coloring.
Where can I buy freeze dried strawberries?
My guess is that you don’t keep freeze dried strawberries on hand in your pantry. That’s okay – they are widely available at local grocers nowadays!
I usually find them in the produce section at my local Publix or Kroger. Crunchies brand is what I purchase as my local grocer, but it’s also available on Amazon (in a 6-pack).
Any bag that’s about .8 to 1 ounce will work just fine for this recipe. You can also purchase freeze dried strawberry powder and skip the step of processing your strawberries below.
Making rice krispies treats
First, gather your ingredients. Also, grab a 9×13 baking pan, line it with parchment paper (or grease the bottoms and sides), and set aside for now.
For this recipe, you’ll need rice krispies cereal, one bag of mini marshmallows, freeze dried strawberries, and butter.
I used one whole bag of Crunchies Freeze Dried Strawberries – .8 oz. Any bag that’s between .8 and 1 ounce will work just fine.
First, add your freeze dried strawberries to a food processor and grind into a fine powder.
Next, add your butter to a large saucepan and melt. Once melted, remove from heat and immediately add your marshmallows, stirring until melted (add back to the heat temporarily if your marshmallows don’t want to melt!).
Then, add your rice krispies and strawberry powder. Fold them into the marshmallow mixture until evenly coated.
Next, spoon your cereal mixture into the prepared 9×13 pan. Press with a spatula to the sides of the pan, creating an even layer.
Now let your bars cool to room temperature. Then, slice into squares and enjoy!
Remember to store your rice krispies treats at room temperature in a tightly sealed container. They will keep fresh for 3-4 days, but do begin to dry out by day 4.
More strawberry desserts
Love strawberries? Here are a few more of my favorite strawberry desserts.
- Strawberry Filled Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cookies
- No Churn Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberry Topping for Cheesecake
- Strawberries and Cream Almond Crumble Bars
Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats
- .8 ounce freeze dried strawberries *
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 5 3/4 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, grind freeze dried strawberries into a powder. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove butter from heat and add marshmallows, stirring until melted. Add Rice Krispies cereal and strawberry powder and stir until completely coated.
- Using a spatula, press cereal mixture firmly into 9x13 pan. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- *any .8 to 1 ounce bag of freeze dried strawberries will work fine. You can also use freeze dried strawberry powder and skip the step of grinding into a powder, if it is available in your area.
- Store rice krispies treats in a sealed container at room temperature. They will keep for 3-4 days, but will start to dry out by day 4.
- Rice krispies treats can be frozen for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed, freezer safe container.