Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats are a fun and fruity twist on the classic recipe you've known since childhood. The addition of strawberries is the only extra ingredient you'll need to make these pink, gooey, marshmallow-filled treats.
Strawberry rice krispies treats are perfect for Valentine's day, summer picnics, or just because. These sweet dessert bars only take four ingredients to make, and about 20 minutes of your time.
You're probably familiar with the classic rice krispies treat - gooey marshmallows and butter mixed with crunchy rice krispies cereal. My strawberry version only needs one extra ingredient.
Freeze dried strawberries! I love baking with freeze dried strawberries because the strawberry flavor is concentrated, and the flavor is from actual strawberries, not some artificial flavoring.
Where can I buy freeze dried strawberries?
I usually find freeze dried strawberries in the produce section at my local Publix or Kroger. Crunchies brand is what I purchase as my local grocer, but it's also available on Amazon (in a 6-pack).
Any bag that's about .8 to 1 ounce will work just fine for this recipe. If you can find it, you can also purchase freeze dried strawberry powder and skip the step of processing the strawberries yourself.
Ingredients and substitutions
Mini marshmallows or full size marshmallows can be used in this recipe. I find that mini marshmallows melt quickly and easily, so I usually reach for those.
Freeze dried strawberries are needed for this recipe. They cannot be substituted with fresh strawberries. The reason you need freeze dried strawberries is because the dried powder will not add extra moisture to the recipe like fresh strawberries would.
I used one whole bag of Crunchies Freeze Dried Strawberries - .8 oz. Any bag that's between .8 and 1 ounce will work just fine.
Storing rice krispies treats
Remember to store your rice krispies treats at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
They will keep fresh for 1-2 days, but do begin to dry out by day three.
Freezing rice krispies
Rice krispies treats can also be frozen for up to two months in a tightly sealed, freezer safe container.
When ready to enjoy, remove your rice krispies from the freezer and allow them to come to room temperature on the counter top.
Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats
- .8 ounce (23 g) freeze dried strawberries, *
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces (28 g) mini marshmallows
- 5 ¾ cups (161 g) Rice Krispies cereal
- Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a spice grinder or food processor, grind freeze dried strawberries into a powder. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Remove butter from heat and add marshmallows, stirring until melted. Add Rice Krispies cereal and strawberry powder and stir until completely coated.
- Using a spatula, press cereal mixture firmly into 9x13 pan. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.
- *any .8 to 1 ounce bag of freeze dried strawberries will work fine. You can also use freeze dried strawberry powder and skip the step of grinding into a powder, if it is available in your area.
- Store rice krispies treats in a sealed container at room temperature. They will keep for 1-2 days, but will start to dry out by day 3.
- Rice krispies treats can be frozen for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed, freezer safe container.