Stovetop Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese makes the perfect weeknight comfort meal. Filled with chicken, cheddar and blue cheeses, and buffalo sauce, this meal is made on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes.
Looking for a flavorful twist on a classic macaroni and cheese? Look no further. This buffalo chicken mac and cheese is filled with chicken, cheddar and blue cheeses, buffalo sauce, and topped with diced green onion.
The best part about this recipe is that it's ready in 30 minutes, and made entirely on the stovetop.
For this recipe you'll need some cooked chicken. This is a great time to use up leftover chicken you have on hand, or grab a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store beforehand.
Ingredients and substitutions
Cooked chicken - a shredded rotisserie chicken, cooked and cubed chicken breasts, or canned chicken can all be used in this recipe. Or, omit the chicken for a meatless meal.
Blue cheese and green onions are optional toppings, but highly recommended.
For your sharp cheddar cheese, I highly recommend buying a block of cheese and grating it yourself.
Most pre-shredded cheeses are coated in a powder to prevent clumping. When this cheese is melted into a sauce, it often becomes grainy. To prevent this - I grate my own cheese.
Macaroni can be substituted with shells or any other medium sized pasta.
This recipe will make four servings of mac and cheese if served as a main course. If you're making this recipe as a side dish, it will easily feed six, if served alongside a main course.
You can also leave out the chicken to serve as a meatless buffalo mac and cheese if you like!
Stovetop Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces elbow macaroni uncooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup buffalo sauce
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 16 ounces cooked chicken shredded or cubed
- ½ cup blue cheese optional
- 2 diced green onions optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente pasta. Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine, creating a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk constantly to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat to low. Add salt, pepper, shredded cheese and buffalo sauce. Stir until cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- Add diced chicken and macaroni and stir to combine. Remove from heat and allow to set for 2 minutes before serving.
- Optionally, top with blue cheese and diced green onions before serving.
- This recipe serves four if served as a main course, or six if served as a side dish alongside a main course.
- A cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken can be used in this recipe, or leftover chicken or turkey you have on hand. Chicken can also be omitted for a meatless mac and cheese.
- I highly recommend shredding your own cheese for this recipe. Pre-shredded store bought cheese is often coated in a powder (to prevent clumping) and when melted, can make your sauce grainy.