Stove Top Loaded Mac and Cheese is a fun twist on the classic mac and cheese, filled with cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions. Rich and creamy, it’s ready in just 30 minutes and is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
Who doesn’t love macaroni and cheese? Here in the south, it’s a staple side dish and can be found at practically any restaurant. My favorite version happens to be my own Creamy Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese recipe. I decided to make it a little “extra” today by adding bacon, sour cream, and green onions. You’ll love my loaded stove top macaroni and cheese because it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
I love preparing macaroni and cheese on the stove top. All it takes is a single pan (unless you’re frying up bacon for this recipe) and thirty minutes. Plus, this recipe makes the creamiest and richest macaroni and cheese. You’ll never go back to another recipe after this one. The best part? it’s made from scratch, with everyday pantry ingredients. No powdered cheese and unknown ingredients in this dish!
As far as bacon goes, I like to fry or oven roast my bacon beforehand. Oven roasting bacon is incredibly easy and saves time and mess in the kitchen. Simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees, then bake for 15-20 minutes (or until crispy). I like to set an oven safe cooling rack on a cookie sheet, then lay my bacon on the cooling rack. Your grease will drip right off the bacon and through the cooling rack. If you don’t want to cook bacon, feel free to use bacon bits instead.
Loaded Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces macaroni uncooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon about 8 slices
- 2 green onions
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine, creating a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk constantly to combine. Continue cooking about another minute, or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add salt, paprika, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add sour cream and stir until combined. Add drained macaroni and bacon pieces (optionally, reserve a small amount for topping) and stir to combine.
- Rinse and dice green onions. Plate your macaroni and cheese. Top with green onions and any additional toppings you'd like - reserved bacon pieces, a dollop of sour cream, or more shredded cheddar cheese.