Loaded Mac and Cheese is an indulgent side dish that’s filled with macaroni, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and bacon. Rich and creamy, this stove top mac and cheese is ready in just 30 minutes.
Mac and cheese is a family favorite side dish. Why not try my loaded mac and cheese with your next weeknight meal?
This mac and cheese is made on the stove top and ready in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it’s super creamy, rich, and filled with flavor.
I modeled this recipe after my classic Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese recipe. It’s made with freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese and heavy cream, for an ultra rich and creamy sauce.
My loaded mac and cheese is made with sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, and topped with green onions. If you love mac and cheese and bacon, this recipe is for you!
Best Cheese for Mac and Cheese
There are many cheeses that work well in mac and cheese. I like to use sharp cheddar cheese because it melts easily and makes the perfect cheese sauce.
As far as melty cheese goes, I also like using white cheddar, monterey jack, parmesan cheese (for alfredo sauce!), and Gruyère.
If you’re interested in learning more, check out this article: 15 Best Cheeses for Mac and Cheese.
The most important part about cheese for your mac and cheese? Make sure your cheese is freshly shredded. Meaning, purchase a block of cheese, then shred it at home.
Many pre-shredded cheeses you’ll find at the store are coated in powder to prevent clumping. While I don’t mind using this cheese for taco night, it’s not ideal for mac and cheese. That powder becomes a grainy texture in your cheese sauce, and who wants that?
Go for the block of cheese instead, get out your box grater (or food processor) and spend a minute grating cheese. It’s worth it!
How to Make Loaded Mac and Cheese
First, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you’ll need butter, elbow macaroni, milk, cooked and chopped bacon, all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, paprika, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and green onions.
First, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your macaroni according to package directions for al dente pasta. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, add your butter and melt over medium heat. Then, add your flour and whisk to incorporate.
Cook for one minute, then add milk, whisking to combine. Cook for another minute or so, or until your sauce thickens slightly (this could happen almost immediately). Reduce heat to low, then add your salt, pepper and paprika.
Next, add your shredded cheese and stir until melted. Remove your pan from the heat.Add the sour cream and stir until incorporated.
Then, add your cooked macaroni and chopped bacon (optionally, reserve a small amount to garnish the top).
Stir until all ingredients are evenly coated in cheese sauce.
Top with chopped green onions and chopped bacon, serve, and enjoy!
More Cheesy Recipes
Love cheese? Me too! Here are more of my favorite cheese-filled recipes.
- Stove Top Loaded Mac and Cheese
- Tuscan Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Stove top Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
- Cheesy Hash Brown Potato Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Waffles
Loaded Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces macaroni uncooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon about 8 slices
- 2 green onions
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir to combine, creating a paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk constantly to combine. Continue cooking about another minute, or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add salt, paprika, and pepper. Stir to combine. Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add sour cream and stir until combined. Add drained macaroni and bacon pieces (optionally, reserve a small amount for topping) and stir to combine.
- Rinse and dice green onions. Plate your macaroni and cheese. Top with green onions and any additional toppings you'd like - reserved bacon pieces, a dollop of sour cream, or more shredded cheddar cheese.
- For this recipe you'll get about 4 servings as a main dish, or 6 servings as a side dish. Calories shown are for servings as a main dish with 4 servings.