Spicy Garlic Chex Mix is an easy and flavorful snack to make for your next get-together. Spicy cayenne seasoning and garlic are the perfect pairing in this snack mix filled with chex cereal, pretzels, and cashews.
Chex mix is a fun and addictive snack that’s easy to make for a crowd. My spicy garlic chex mix is super quick and easy to make, and packs a punch of spicy flavor.
You’ll love this recipe because it takes just minutes to throw together, and toasts up nice and crunchy in the oven. Take this salty, crunchy, addictive snack mix to your next party, barbecue, or get-together. It’s an instant favorite!
Let’s talk about spice. This chex mix is moderately spicy. On a scale of hot wings, I enjoy mild and medium wings, but hot wings start to be ‘too hot’ for my comfort level.
I consider this chex mix to be a medium level of spicy. You will feel some heat, but it’s not overwhelming.
If you’re not a spicy food person, I would recommend cutting the amount of cayenne pepper in half. Love spicy foods? You may be able to tolerate even more cayenne pepper – add more at your own risk!
If you don’t have an aversion to spicy foods, I would recommend trying the recipe as is. Then, adjust your next batch to suit your taste buds.
Type of chex cereal to use
The great part about chex cereal is that there are many varieties to choose from. If you have an allergy or aversion to gluten or wheat, you can easily avoid using wheat chex.
I like to use a variety, and pick up two types of chex cereal when making chex mix. In the photos shown, I used wheat chex and corn chex, but rice chex is also a great option.
Cashews can be substituted with peanuts or pistachios. If omitting nuts entirely, add an extra cup of chex cereal or pretzels.
Pretzels can be substituted with cheese crackers (like cheez-its) or with your favorite gluten free pretzel.
Spicy Garlic Chex Mix
- 8 cups chex cereal any variety
- 2 cups small twist pretzels
- 8 ounces cashews
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a large baking sheet (or two baking sheets if needed) with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chex cereal, pretzels, and cashews. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over chex mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread chex mix evenly over baking sheet(s) in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through. If using multiple baking sheets, rotate sheets between racks halfway through as well.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
- Stored in an airtight container, chex snack mix should stay fresh for 1-2 weeks.
- Any chex cereal can be used for this recipe - wheat, corn, or rice chex work well.
- This chex mix is moderately spicy - for a less spicy chex mix, use half as much cayenne pepper.