Frozen Grasshopper is a mint chocolate flavored alcoholic drink. This frozen dessert beverage is made with just four ingredients and a blender - perfect for St. Patrick's Day, hot summer days, or anytime your sweet tooth strikes.
Frozen alcoholic drinks are a summertime favorite. This frozen grasshopper is also perfect for Christmas and St. Patrick's Day, with its minty flavor and green tint.
A classic grasshopper cocktail is made with creme de menthe (mint) and creme de cacao (chocolate) liquors, as well as cream. This frozen version includes vanilla ice cream, with an optional splash of milk.
It's basically like a grown up milkshake! If you like mint chocolate chip ice cream, I think you'll love this frozen cocktail. Looking for a non-alcoholic version? See my notes in the recipe card.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you'll need a few alcoholic ingredients, like creme de cacao and creme de menthe. You can find both of these with the flavored liqueurs at your local liquor store.
Next, pick up a pint (or more!) of your favorite vanilla ice cream. A mint or chocolate ice cream can also be used to amplify the flavor of your liqueurs.
The chocolate syrup is optional, but adds a nice visual appeal to your drinks if you're serving them to a crowd.
If you'd like to decorate your glass with chocolate syrup, do so before pouring your drink.
Simply swirl some chocolate syrup onto the insides of your glass. Chocolate sprinkles and mint leaves also make a great garnish.
- 1.5 ounces creme de menthe
- 1.5 ounces creme de cacao
- 16 ounces vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup milk optional
- 1 teaspoon chocolate syrup as a garnish
- In a blender, add creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and vanilla ice cream. Blend until smooth. Check consistency and add milk as needed for desired consistency.
- Swirl chocolate syrup on the insides of a highball glass. Pour grasshopper into glass and serve immediately.
- This recipe contains alcohol and is not suitable for those under the legal drinking age.
- For a lower calorie beverage, substitute vanilla ice cream with vanilla frozen yogurt. Or, use half ice cream and half ice cubes to make a slushy drink.
- For a non-alcoholic, kid-friendly version - omit the creme de menthe and creme de cacao. Add ½ teaspoon of mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring. The full ¼ cup of milk will be needed to thin your milkshake.