Bacon Spinach Stuffed Chicken is an easy to make, low carb meal. Chicken breasts are stuffed with bacon, spinach, and mozzarella cheese, then pan seared and finished in the oven.
You’ll love my recipe for bacon spinach stuffed chicken because not only is it filled with flavor, you’ll have it on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Plus, this low carb recipe needs only five ingredients to make. Bacon pulls double duty in this recipe. It’s cooked in a cast iron (or other oven safe) pan first, then the leftover bacon grease is used to sear both sides of your chicken breast.
Inside, your boneless, skinless chicken breasts are stuffed with fresh spinach, mozzarella cheese, and bacon. Surprisingly simple, but filled with flavor! Just add a dash of garlic powder and you’re set.
What type of pan to use
For this recipe, I love to use my cast iron skillet. Since you’re starting your chicken on the stove, then finishing in the oven, you’ll need an oven-proof skillet.
Cast iron pans are so incredibly easy to use and clean, and they’re basically indestructible. Plus, they move from the stove top to the oven with ease.
I highly recommend having at least one cast iron pan in your kitchen. I also love to use mine for Skillet Cornbread.
Here is a great article if you are interested in learning more about the myths and realities of owning cast iron.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you’ll need some fresh spinach, shredded mozzarella cheese, bacon, 16 ounces of chicken breasts (this amounted to two large chicken breasts from my local grocer), pepper, and garlic powder.
First, you’ll need to cook your bacon. Do this in the same pan you intend to cook your chicken in, so the extra bacon grease can be used. If not, substitute bacon grease with butter.
Meanwhile, butterfly your chicken breasts by slicing through the middles of each and going about 3/4 of the way through, creating a pocket.
Season each with garlic powder and pepper.
Stuff each pocket with spinach, mozzarella cheese, and bacon. Optionally, hold your chicken breasts closed with toothpicks.
How to cook stuffed chicken
In the same skillet you cooked your bacon, reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Over medium heat, add your chicken breasts and sear each side, about 2-3 minutes.
You’ll know your chicken is ready to turn when it easily lifts from the pan.
Once each side is seared, transfer your skillet to the oven to finish cooking. Please make sure your skillet is oven safe – if your pan has any plastic pieces, like a plastic handle, do not place it in the oven.
Instead, transfer your chicken to an oven safe baking dish to finish cooking.
Depending on the thickness of your chicken, you’ll want to bake for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
More stuffed chicken recipes
Bacon Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- 4 slices bacon
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts - hold your hand on top of the chicken breast and slice into the side of the chicken breast, cutting from one side to the other, leaving the opposite side intact. Your goal is to create a pocket for your filling. If needed, pound chicken breasts to create even thickness. entire breast (closed) should be no more than 1 inch in thickness.
- In a cast iron skillet, cook bacon according to package directions. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with garlic powder and pepper. Stuff chicken breasts with spinach, mozzarella cheese, and bacon. Optionally, use toothpicks to keep the chicken breasts closed around the open edge.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken breasts on each side for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Move skillet to oven to finish cooking for 12-15 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.