You’re going to love my recipe for Bacon and Spinach Stuffed Chicken. It’s a fantastic single pan meal that will fit right into your weekly rotation. Chicken breasts are stuffed with bacon, spinach, and cheese, then baked to perfection in the oven.
Today, I want to share with you one of my recent dinner favorites. I love anything quick and that can be prepared in one single pan, so right now I’m loving my cast iron skillet.
You can start your meal on the stove, then finish it in the oven. You’ll love this bacon and spinach stuffed chicken because it takes only a few ingredients, and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
If you don’t have one yet, you should seriously consider buying at least a single cast iron skillet for your kitchen. They are basically indestructible. Plus, they’re easy to clean and you don’t have to move your food to different dishes between the stove and oven.
They do take some particular care. But, it’s nothing worse than cleaning it right after use and not leaving it to soak in the sink. Here is a great article if you are interested in learning more about cast iron.
Back to the food. The chicken I’m sharing with you today is stuffed with fresh baby spinach, mozzarella cheese, and bacon. In this recipe, the bacon does double duty.
First, I fry my bacon up in a cast iron skillet. Then, I remove the bacon and all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Once the chicken is stuffed, I fry each side in the bacon grease before letting it finish in the oven.
By using the bacon grease that’s already in the pan, you’re getting more of that amazing bacon flavor.
Does anyone else’s grocery store carry absolutely enormous chicken breasts? I’m not sure what has happened, but I can’t find small, single serving size chicken breasts anymore.
My husband and I usually split one chicken breast between the two of us. If this is the case for you as well, feel free to use one large chicken breast instead of two. You can use all of the same measurements for the rest of the recipe.
Love bacon? Try some of my other recipes: Bacon and Garlic Butter Mashed Potatoes, which make an amazingly indulgent side dish. Or, my recipe for Leftover Turkey Bacon Alfredo Skillet Meal, which can also be made with leftover chicken.
Bacon and Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butterfly your chicken breasts - hold your hand on top of the chicken breast and slice into the side of the chicken breast, cutting from one side to the other, leaving the opposite side intact. Your goal is to create a pocket for your filling. If needed, pound chicken breasts to create even thickness. entire breast (closed) should be no more than 1 inch in thickness.
- In a cast iron skillet, cook bacon according to package directions. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stuff chicken breasts with spinach, mozzarella cheese, and bacon. Optionally, use toothpicks to keep the chicken breasts closed around the open edge.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken breasts on each side for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Move skillet to oven to finish cooking for 12-15 minutes, or until juices run clear.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.