This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Pesto Mozzarella Chicken is a quick and simple five-ingredient dish. Chicken breasts are coated in pesto, smothered in mozzarella cheese, and roasted in the oven in just twenty minutes.
I am all about a quick and easy weeknight meal. Bonus points if it’s made from scratch. If you’re anything like me, you’ll love my recipe for Easy Pesto Mozzarella Chicken. This dish is ready for the oven in just five minutes, and is finished baking in another twenty minutes. All you’ll need are boneless, skinless chicken breasts, basil pesto, shredded mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, and some everyday spices.
If you like Italian food, you’ll love this dish. For so few ingredients, this chicken is filled with flavor. The basil pesto does most of the heavy lifting in this recipe. Plus, smothering anything in cheese is guaranteed to be good! The chicken turns out perfectly juicy, and broiling the mozzarella at the end adds a delicious golden crust.
I like to pair this chicken with a rice and quinoa mix (as shown). You can also serve it on top of pasta or mashed potatoes. Or, add some steamed veggies and make a low-carb meal.
This chicken has quickly become one of my favorite freezer prep meals. It’s also easy to make in bulk – I make four to six pans of this recipe at a time. If you’d like to make this as a freezer meal, simply assemble in a dish you don’t mind freezing, cover it tightly in foil, and freeze it raw. No need to cook beforehand! Tightly covered, this will last up to 3 months in the freezer. Place the pan in the refrigerator the night before, and it will be perfectly thawed for dinner the next night. Once thawed, follow the baking directions as written.
Easy Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 teaspoons basil pesto
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 3 quart baking dish (or 9x13 baking pan) and set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1 inch thickness. If chicken breasts are very large, you can slice in half and use a single chicken breast for two servings. Set aside.
- Pour marinara sauce into bottom of pan. Lay chicken breasts on top. Season tops of chicken breasts with salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Top each chicken breast with 2 teaspoons of pesto, spreading to coat. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake for 18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Optional (but highly recommended) - Uncover, turn on broiler, and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is lightly browned on top. Watch carefully, as food will brown quickly under the broiler.
Last Updated on