Sheet pan Italian sausage and potatoes is an easy, one pan meal to make for dinner tonight. Italian sausage, seasoned potatoes, and onions are roasted on a single sheet pan.
This hearty sheet pan meal is the perfect addition to your winter dinner rotation. Italian sausage links are paired with savory seasoned baby potatoes and chopped onions.
This meal only takes about 5 minutes of prep before it's in the oven. It's perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekend meals.
Italian sausage and potatoes is hearty and filling and makes a complete meal on its own. To stretch the servings even further, serve with a simple garden salad or green beans and onions on the stove top.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Italian sausage - For this recipe, I used Johnsonville mild Italian sausage links. Any flavor, from sweet to hot, works well in this recipe.
- Potatoes - New potatoes are my preferred choice for this recipe. Simply quarter and add to your mixing bowl. Potatoes can also be substituted in whole or in part with other hearty roasting vegetables. Broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, parsnips, or sweet potatoes are a great choice.
- Onion - Adds flavor to the meal. Slice your onion into large wedges to prevent them from burning in the oven.
- Olive oil - Can be substituted with your favorite cooking oil if desired. I don't recommend using butter for roasting because it can burn at higher temperatures.
- Seasoning - Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper add flavor to the potatoes. Store bought or homemade Italian seasoning can be used in this recipe. If you don't have Italian seasoning on hand, try using a combination of any Italian herbs you have on hand, like oregano, thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, and basil.
Tips and tricks
Chop potatoes into even, bite size pieces - Large potato pieces will take longer to roast in the oven. Chop your potatoes into small-ish, 1 inch bites for best results.
Slice onion into wedges - Small pieces of onion are likely to burn in the oven. To prevent this, slice your onion into thick wedges.
Frequently asked questions
To make this recipe as written, you'll need a single half sheet pan. A half sheet pan is 13 inches by 18 inches and fits easily into standard sized home ovens.
I use these sheet pans from Amazon (as shown in the photos): Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack)
In general, yukon gold potatoes are the best all around potato for just about any application. They're great for roasting, boiling, and mashing. If you want to keep one potato on hand for everything, I recommend yukon gold.
Red potatoes, new potatoes, or baby potatoes also work well in this recipe.
Bell pepper, broccoli, parsnips, or brussels sprouts make a great addition to this recipe.
Leftovers will keep for 3 to 4 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
More one pan meals
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Potatoes
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 2 pounds baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, sliced into thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a half baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pierce each sausage link a few times with a fork, then place onto prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- In a bowl, add potatoes, onion, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Pour onto baking sheet and spread into an even layer around sausage.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until potatoes can easily be pierced through with a fork.
- Baby potatoes can be substituted with any potato diced into 1 inch cubes. Yukon gold is a great choice.
- Substitute some or all of your potatoes with other hearty roasting vegetables, like bell pepper, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, or broccoli.
- Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container.