Sheet pan Italian sausage and potatoes is an easy, one pan meal to make for dinner tonight. Italian sausage, seasoned potatoes, and onions are roasted on a single sheet pan.
This hearty sheet pan meal is the perfect addition to your winter dinner rotation. Italian sausage links are paired with savory seasoned baby potatoes and chopped onions.
This meal only takes about 5 minutes of prep before it's in the oven. Which means more time for you, and less time spent in the kitchen!
Make this Italian sausage and potatoes for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It's hearty and filling, the perfect dinner after a long day at work.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, I used Johnsonville mild Italian sausage links. Any flavor, from sweet to hot, works well in this recipe.
New potatoes are my preferred choice for this recipe. Simply quarter and add to your mixing bowl.
Potatoes can also be substituted in whole or in part with other hearty roasting vegetables. Broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, parsnips, or sweet potatoes are a great choice.
Store bought or homemade Italian seasoning can be used in this recipe. If you don't have Italian seasoning on hand, try using a combination of any Italian herbs you have on hand, like oregano, thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, and basil.
Potato type and size to use
So, what potato is best for roasting? In general, yukon gold potatoes are the best all around potato for just about any application. They're great for roasting, boiling, and mashing. If you want to keep one potato on hand for everything, I recommend yukon gold.
Red potatoes would also be a great choice for this quick sheet pan meal. Because they're small with thin skins, all you need to do is quarter them, toss them in seasoning, and roast.
Small potatoes may also be labeled as "new potatoes", "baby potatoes", or "mini potatoes" and work well in this recipe.
What size sheet pan do I need?
To make this recipe as written, you'll need a single half sheet pan. A half sheet pan is 13 inches by 18 inches, and fits easily into standard sized home ovens.
I highly recommend these sheet pans from Amazon (as shown in the photos): Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet (2 Pack)
If doubling this recipe, I recommend using two half sheet pans. Sausage on one, potatoes and onions on the other. Rotate the sheet pans between racks in the oven halfway through baking.
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Potatoes
- 4 Italian sausage links
- 2 pounds baby potatoes quartered
- 1 onion sliced into thick wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a half baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pierce each sausage link a few times with a fork, then place onto prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- In a bowl, add potatoes, onion, olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Pour onto baking sheet and spread into an even layer around sausage.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until potatoes can easily be pierced through with a fork.
- Baby potatoes can be substituted with any potato diced into 1 inch cubes. Yukon gold is a great choice.
- Substitute some or all of your potatoes with other hearty roasting vegetables, like bell pepper, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, or broccoli.
- Leftovers will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator in a sealed container.