This cajun shrimp and sausage skillet is a low calorie, flavorful one pan meal.
Shrimp and andouille sausage are sautéed with onions, peppers, and zucchini and seasoned with cajun spices.
You're going to love this cajun shrimp and sausage skillet because it's easy, made in a single pan, and it's filled with flavor.
Bonus - it's gluten-free and low in carbs! Plus, it's easy to add your favorite veggies to the mix depending on what you have on hand.
Sauteed shrimp are coated in a spicy cajun seasoning, then mixed with andouille sausage. Veggies like zucchini, onions, and bell pepper round out this dish, making it low in calories and filling!
For this recipe, you'll need a saute pan or a large skillet. I like using saute pans because they have that extra 'helper handle' on the opposite side to help carry your dish from the stove to the counter top or dinner table.
If you don't have a saute pan (a pan with a flat bottom and tall sides, like shown), any large skillet will do just fine.
Ingredients and substitutions
Any medium or large shrimp will work for this recipe. Your cooking times will need to be adjusted if using small or jumbo shrimp.
If you enjoy a mild to medium amount of heat, I recommend using mild andouille sausage. If you love spicy foods, feel free to use your favorite hot andouille sausage.
I like to use my homemade cajun seasoning blend in this recipe, but any store bought cajun seasoning works just fine.
Zucchini and bell pepper can be substituted with any hearty vegetables you have on hand. Broccoli, squash, and jalapenos are great choices.
Tips and tricks
Shrimp cook quickly, so once you add them to the pan, keep an eye on them. As soon as they begin to turn white and start to curl up, they're ready.
If your pan begins to look dry or your vegetables begin to stick to the pan, add a splash of water and turn the heat down slightly.
Every stove runs slightly differently, and yours may run a little hot if your food is sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Serving cajun shrimp and sausage
yYour cajun shrimp and sausage skillet can be served as-is for a low carb meal.
Or, serve your shrimp and sausage over grits, a bed of rice, or pasta.
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails removed
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced, sliced
- ¼ cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Season shrimp with cajun seasoning. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook for 1 more minute, or until shrimp turn opaque and begin to curl up slightly. Transfer shrimp to a plate, cover, and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and andouille sausage to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until sausage is browned and onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add zucchini and broth to pan. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom to deglaze pan if needed. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 4 minutes to steam vegetables.
- Remove lid and add shrimp to pan, stirring to incorporate. Remove from heat and serve.
- Skillet can be served as-is for a low carb meal, or over grits, rice, or pasta.
- Medium or large shrimp work best for this recipe. Cooking times will need to be adjusted if using small or jumbo shrimp.
Leave a Reply