Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet is a healthy and flavorful one pan meal. Shrimp and andouille sausage are sautéed with onions, peppers, and zucchini and seasoned with cajun spices.
You’re going to love this cajun shrimp and sausage skillet because it’s easy, made in a single pan, and it’s filled with flavor. Bonus – it’s pretty healthy too!
If you’re looking for gluten-free and low-carb meal ideas, this is skillet meal a great place to start. Plus, it’s easy to add your favorite veggies to the mix depending on what you have on hand.
Sauteed shrimp are coated in a spicy cajun seasoning, then mixed with andouille sausage. Veggies like zucchini, onions, and bell pepper round out this dish, making it healthy and filling!
For this recipe, all you’ll need is a saute pan, or a large skillet. I like using saute pans because they have that extra ‘helper handle’ on the opposite side, to help carry your dish from the stove to the counter top or dinner table.
If you don’t have a saute pan (a pan with a flat bottom and tall sides, like shown), any large skillet will do just fine.
How to Make Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
First, gather your ingredients.
For this recipe, you’ll need raw shrimp, chopped onions, sliced zucchini, olive oil, andouille sausage, bell pepper, chicken broth, and cajun seasoning.
For the shrimp, any medium or large shrimp will work great. I use a mild andouille sausage, because in our house, a mild to medium amount of heat works for us. If you love spicy foods, feel free to use your favorite hot andouille sausage.
I like to use my homemade Cajun Seasoning blend, but any store bought brand will work as well.
Season your shrimp with cajun seasoning and toss to evenly coat.
Add half of your olive oil to the bottom of a saute pan. When hot, add your shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes on the first side, flip, and cook for 1 additional minute (or, until your shrimp are pink and appear to be cooked through). Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
Add your remaining olive oil to the pan.
Next, add your sliced andouille sausage, onions, and bell pepper to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until sausage begins to brown and onions are turning translucent.
Add zucchini and chicken broth to the pan. Using a spatula, scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze with the chicken broth.
Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to cook for 4 minutes.
Remove the lid, add your shrimp to the pan, and stir to combine. Your skillet meal can be served as is, or over rice.
More Skillet Meals
Love skillet meals? Here are a few more of my favorites.
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- Leftover Turkey Alfredo Skillet Meal
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Orzo Skillet Meal
- Skillet Flank Steak with Garlic Butter
- Andouille Sausage and Tortellini Skillet Meal
- Hash Browns and Eggs Breakfast Skillet
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- 8 ounces shrimp peeled and deveined with tails removed
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounces andouille sausage sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Season shrimp with cajun seasoning. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook for 1 more minute. Transfer shrimp to a plate, cover, and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, and andouille sausage to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until sausage is browned and onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add zucchini and broth to pan. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom to deglaze pan if needed. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 4 minutes to steam vegetables.
- Remove lid and add shrimp to pan, stirring to incorporate. Remove from heat and serve.
- Skillet can be served as-is for a low-carb meal, or over a bed of rice.