Maple bacon brussels sprouts are a quick stovetop side dish to make this fall. Sliced brussels sprouts are sautéed with crumbled bacon, onions and a hint of sweet maple syrup.
What's the best way to serve brussels sprouts to the family? Add bacon and maple syrup, of course!
These delicious brussels sprouts are sautéed on the stove top with onions, topped with plenty of crumbled bacon, and tossed in a sweet maple syrup glaze.
The best part? Probably the bacon. But the next best part? This dish is ready in about 20 minutes and made in a single pan. That means... easy kitchen cleanup!
If you're worried about the addition of maple syrup - this recipe uses only a small amount. It won't be too sweet. The sweetness of the maple syrup pairs perfectly with the salty crumbled bacon!
Ingredients and substitutions
You'll need a pound of brussels sprouts for this recipe. You'll want to trim the stems and slice each brussels sprout in half so they'll cook through quickly on the stovetop. If you're using very large brussels sprouts, you may want to quarter them.
Maple syrup can be substituted with honey if needed.
Give brussels sprouts a chance
It seems like brussels sprouts are often given a hard time. It's quite a polarizing vegetable - you either love them or hate them!
When cooked improperly, they can turn out mushy and bitter, with a strong smell. However, brussels sprouts can also make a flavorful side dish when seasoned and cooked properly.
My recipe for oven roasted garlic parmesan brussels sprouts is a great place to start - it's one of my most popular recipes on pinterest! With just a handful of ingredients and about 20 minutes in the oven, you'll have a flavorful side dish for your next meal.
Benefits of brussels sprouts
Did you know that brussels sprouts are high in fiber, vitamin a, vitamin k, calcium, and potassium? Eating brussels sprouts may also help protect against many kinds of cancers and help lower cholesterol.
For more health benefits of brussels sprouts: WebMD: Health benefits of brussels sprouts
What to serve with brussels sprouts
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 pound brussels sprouts trimmed and sliced in half
- ½ onion diced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from pan and set aside, leaving bacon grease in the pan.
- Add brussels sprouts, onions, and pepper to pan and stir to coat with bacon grease. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring and flipping brussels sprouts as needed to cook evenly.
- Remove from heat and add cooked bacon back to the pan. Drizzle with maple syrup. Stir to coat and serve immediately.
- If brussels sprouts are very large, slice into quarters to help cook through quickly.
- Maple syrup can be substituted with honey.