Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Turnovers make a quick and easy homemade lunch, dinner, or snack. Puff pastry pockets are filled with ham, cheese, and mustard – with a hint of garlic in the crust.
You’re going to love making these simple and fun ham and cheese puff pastry turnovers. First, you need only six ingredients. Second, with those few ingredients these turnovers are filled with flavor!
Third, they make the perfect snack. Or, pair them with a side salad and dinner is ready.
I love using frozen puff pastry in my recipes. It’s a quick and easy alternative to making your own, and it always turns out perfectly flaky and buttery.
Thawing puff pastry
If you’re planning ahead, simply move your puff pastry from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before.
Otherwise, place on the counter to thaw for 30 minutes before assembling your turnovers.
Assembling your turnovers
Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut each puff pastry sheet into four squares, then add your filling.
Crimp the edges with a fork (or pinch together with your fingers) and egg wash the tops. Then, they’re ready to bake!
Be careful filling your turnovers – a little filling goes a long way. With the measurements listed below, your turnovers should be perfectly filled with no spillover.
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Turnovers
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 16 ounces ham diced
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets to approximately 12 inch squares. Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of mustard onto each square, avoiding 1/2 an inch around the edges. Spoon 2 ounces of ham and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese onto a corner of each square. Fold the opposite corner of each puff pastry over to cover filling. This will form a triangle.
- Press the edges with a fork to seal. Cut a small vent into the tops of each turnover (or prick with a fork).
- In a small bowl, add egg, 1 tablespoon of water, and garlic powder. Whisk together to create an egg wash. Brush each turnover with egg wash.
- Transfer turnovers to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.