Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Turnovers make a quick and easy homemade lunch, dinner, or snack. Puff pastry pockets are filled with ham, cheese, and mustard - with a hint of garlic in the crust.
Who needs store bought ham and cheese pockets? Try this quick and easy homemade version instead!
These savory turnovers are filled with chopped ham, gooey cheese, and a hint of dijon mustard. Puff pastry makes these turnovers quick and easy to assemble - you'll have them in the oven in minutes!
Ham and cheese puff pastry turnovers make a great snack, quick lunch, or meal on the go. Plus, they're a great way to use up leftover ham from a holiday dinner, like Thanksgiving or Easter.
Thawing puff pastry
If you're planning ahead, simply move your puff pastry from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before.
Otherwise, place on the counter to thaw for 30 minutes before assembling your turnovers.
Assembling your turnovers
Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut each puff pastry sheet into four squares, then add your filling.
Crimp the edges with a fork (or pinch together with your fingers) and egg wash the tops. Then, they're ready to bake!
Be careful filling your turnovers - a little filling goes a long way. With the measurements listed below, your turnovers should be perfectly filled with no spillover.
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Turnovers
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 16 ounces ham diced
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets to approximately 12 inch squares. Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Spread ½ teaspoon of mustard onto each square, avoiding ½ an inch around the edges. Spoon 2 ounces of ham and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese onto a corner of each square. Fold the opposite corner of each puff pastry over to cover filling. This will form a triangle.
- Press the edges with a fork to seal. Cut a small vent into the tops of each turnover (or prick with a fork).
- In a small bowl, add egg, 1 tablespoon of water, and garlic powder. Whisk together to create an egg wash. Brush each turnover with egg wash.
- Transfer turnovers to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.