Flaky and buttery puff pastry cherry turnovers are a quick and easy homemade treat. Puff pastry pockets are filled with freshly made cherry pie filling and have a crunchy sugar crust.
I hope that everyone is enjoying the new year so far. I’m back again, with another fantastic puff pastry recipe. You’ll love my puff pastry cherry turnovers because they are surprisingly simple and any cherry pie lover will adore them. Promise!
Puff pastry is one of my favorite always-on-hand ingredients. There’s a box in my freezer at any given moment. Looking for puff pastry recipes? I’ve got plenty – Quick 30 Minute Cinnamon Rolls, 30 Minute Lemon Sweet Rolls, and Easy Raspberry Cheese Danishes to name a few.
These cherry turnovers are quick and simple with the use of puff pastry. Fill, bake, and enjoy. Even better – I’ve made my own cherry pie filling!
It’s so easy to make. If you pick up some frozen, pitted cherries, it’s even quicker to prepare. Simply thaw your cherries on the counter for thirty minutes before your begin.
Don’t you love the addition of the heart cutout on top? I used a tiny cookie cutter to pierce the top to make a vent. Adorable, and perfect for Valentine’s Day. Or really any day. Everyone needs a pastry adorned with a heart.
Pro-tip: as the puff pastry bakes, the heart may fade a bit in the oven. Feel free to re-cut your heart after they’re done baking (I did).
Puff Pastry Cherry Turnovers
- 2 puff pastry sheets thawed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Cherry Pie Filling*
- 2 cups cherries pitted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- dash ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Cherry Pie Filling
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add cherries, granulated sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets to approximately 12 inch squares. Cut each sheet into four squares.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of cherry pie filling onto a corner of each square, avoiding 1/2 an inch around the edges. Fold the opposite corner of each puff pastry over to cover filling. This will form a triangle.
- Press the edges with a fork to seal. Cut a small vent into the tops of each turnover (or prick with a fork). Optionally, use a small heart shaped cookie cutter to pierce a hole (like the photos).
- In a small bowl, add the egg and 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk together to create an egg wash. Brush each turnover with egg wash.
- Sprinkle each turnover with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer turnovers to parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 19-22 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown.