Grinch punch is a festive non-alcoholic drink that's perfect for your next holiday party. This pineapple lime punch is kid-friendly, fruity, sweet, and fun!
This fun green punch recipe is the perfect addition to your next Christmas party or Grinch movie night with the whole family.
Pineapple and lime juices make this punch fruity, citrusy, and sweet - kids and adults alike will enjoy it. This recipe makes one gallon of green punch, perfect for a small crowd. Plus, it's easy to double or triple!
Want to make a themed cocktail for the adults? Try my grinch cocktail recipe - my most popular Christmas recipe!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Lemon-lime soda - For this recipe, you'll need your favorite lemon-lime soda, like Sprite, 7-up, or any generic brand with the same flavors.
- Pineapple juice - Adds fruity flavor to the punch. Can be substituted with orange juice for a slightly different flavor.
- Frozen limeade concentrate - Can be substituted with frozen lemonade concentrate if desired.
- Kool-aid lemon-lime packets - Necessary to add green color and extra lemon-lime flavor to the punch. I found lemon-lime kool-aid at two different local grocery stores as well as on Amazon: Kool-aid lemon lime drink mix. If you can't find kool-aid, any off-brand unsweetened powdered drink mix that is green will work as a substitute. You could also add a few drops of liquid food coloring instead.
Tips and tricks
Use large ice cubes - If your punch will be set out in a serving bowl, it is important to keep it chilled for several hours. If adding ice to your punch, it is best to use large ice cubes. They melt slowly and do not dilute the punch as quickly as small cubes. Here's a set of large ice cube trays (Amazon) you can try.
Or make a bundt cake ice ring - Did you know that you can make a large, ring-shaped ice cube in a bundt cake pan? Simply fill up partially with water, freeze, and you've got a giant ring sized ice cube. If you don't have a bundt cake pan, you can also use any smaller baking pan, like an 8 inch round cake pan or a loaf pan.
Red garnishes - Sliced strawberries (as shown), cherries, or cranberries make the perfect holiday garnishes. You could also add a red sugar rim to your punch glasses or add red and white striped paper straws.
Frequently asked questions
For a short event that's only serving cake, you may need as little as 4 to 8 ounces of punch per person. For an event lasting several hours with appetizers and mingling, you may need up to 12 ounces of punch per person. This is a helpful article: How to Calculate Punch for a Party.
Yes. Add your pineapple juice, limeade, and kool-aid to a pitcher, stir to combine, then refrigerate. This can be done a day ahead of time if needed. When ready to serve, add your mixture to a punch bowl, dispenser, or leave in the pitcher. Then add the lemon-lime soda and mix gently to combine. This ensures the soda doesn't lose its carbonation sitting around hours before the party.
In some stores it can be difficult to find lemon-lime kool-aid or an off-brand unsweetened green drink mix. If this is the case, a few drops of liquid green food coloring can be added to your punch for that classic green grinch color.
Green Hawaiian punch is a store bought punch that's already prepared and ready to go as is. However, if you'd like to add it to this recipe, I recommend substituting half of the lemon-lime soda with an equal amount of Hawaiian punch.
- 46 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 packets kool-aid lemon lime drink mix
- 14 ounce frozen limeade concentrate
- 2 liters lemon-lime soda
- 5 sliced strawberries, optional
- In a gallon-sized pitcher or bowl, add pineapple juice, frozen limeade concentrate (no need to thaw), and kool-aid packets. Stir and mash limeade until incorporated. Add lemon-lime soda and gently stir to combine.
- Optionally, top punch bowl with sliced strawberries or cranberries, or use as a garnish on individual punch glasses. Serve cold.
- To make ahead - Combine punch in a pitcher, omitting lemon-lime soda, then store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Add lemon-lime soda just before serving.
- Add an ice ring (made in a bundt pan) or large ice cubes to punch bowl to keep cold for several hours while serving.
- 2 liter of soda = about 67 ounces