This Dark Chocolate Pecan Toffee Bark is calling your name – it’s rich, decadent, and easy to make. Dark chocolate is filled with chopped pecans and toffee pieces. Ready in just twenty minutes.
If you’re anything like me, you don’t look forward to the cleanup involved after a day in the kitchen. That’s why today I am bringing you the easiest candy recipe ever, ready in 20 minutes! Plus, you’ll only need to clean a bowl and a spoon.
You may be thinking, “Why not use chocolate chips, they’re available everywhere!” The reason that melting wafers are the ideal choice is that the chocolate is already tempered and will melt easily and re-harden with a crisp, shiny surface (great for candies, dipping, etc). Think about when you break a chocolate candy bar in half – it snaps! That’s what tempered chocolate does.
When chocolate chips are melted and solidified again, the result will be a soft chocolate with a dull finish. While it will still taste good, it’s not best for candies sitting at room temperature.
If you’d like more detailed information, this article is a great resource for melting and tempering chocolate.
The great news is that in the last few years, grocery stores have been selling more and more melting wafers. This makes it easier for us to find the best ingredients to make delicious candies!
When shopping locally, I like to pick up Ghirardelli wafers if possible. But, this is one of the rare instances where I like to buy online instead. I’ll tell you why!
I recently stumbled upon Merckens chocolate and fell in love. The flavor of their melting wafers is much better than any I can find locally. I ended up purchasing wafers in dark, milk, and white chocolate from merckenscandymelts.com for about $3.59/lb. The shipping was quick and I highly recommend them if you’re looking to purchase some for yourself.
Merckens is available on my usual favorite, Amazon, but for a hefty markup. If you’re lucky and have one nearby, you may find them at a baking/cake supply shop. My closest supply store is an hour away!
Merckens isn’t paying me to rave about their chocolate, I just love them 🙂
I like to cut my bark into pieces with a knife so that you get those sharp edges to see the pecans and toffee inside. Looks pretty, right?
The great thing about bark candy is that it’s not fussy. You can break it apart with your hands, or cut it into evenly sized squares.
Dark Chocolate Pecan Toffee Bark
- 12 ounces dark chocolate melting wafers
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- 3/4 cup toffee bits
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a glass bowl, microwave melting wafers in 30 second increments, stirring until melted. Alternatively, melt using a double boiler on the stove top.
- Add pecans and toffee to melted chocolate. Stir to coat.
- Pour mixture onto parchment paper. Using a spatula, spread chocolate into a thin, even layer. Your bark should be about 1/4" thick and make about a 10 to 12 inch circle with no holes.
- Place cookie sheet into refrigerator to harden, about 10-15 minutes. Break into pieces and store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.