This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal is a simple dinner that comes together in just 30 minutes. Pan fried chicken and orzo are coated in a creamy mushroom and herb sauce.
Skillet meals are a favorite of mine. They come together in just a few minutes, while only dirtying a single pan. It’s all you’ve ever wanted in a weeknight meal. You’ll love my Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal because you’ll only need a few minutes of prep, and it’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
The best part? It’s filled with flavor and makes a quick and unique weeknight meal! The ingredient list is short and it’s easy to find everything at your local grocer.
No orzo in the kitchen? No problem! Substitute with any pasta you have available. For this recipe, bowties or a mini penne would also make a great substitution. You may need to add more broth or water, so keep an eye on your pasta as it cooks.
My other favorite pasta skillet meals include my Cajun Chicken and Spinach Parmesan Pasta Skillet Meal and Leftover Turkey Bacon Alfredo Skillet Meal (which can be made with chicken, too!).
I opted to top my dish with fresh chopped parsley. However, feel free to use what you have on hand. Fresh chives or green onions would be a great choice. Shaved parmesan cheese would add visual appeal and amp up the flavor of your dish.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Cube chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan. When heated, add chicken and cook until juices run clear, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and mushrooms to pan and cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms have browned. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth to pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Then, add orzo, parsley, and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until pasta is just al dente (according to your pasta's package directions). Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Remove lid and add heavy cream and cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Allow to set for 3-4 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Optionally, top with fresh chopped parsley, chives, or freshly grated parmesan.
Last Updated on