Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal is a quick and flavorful meal that’s made in a single pan in 30 minutes. Chicken, mushrooms, and orzo are coated in a creamy herb sauce.
If you’re short on time and have no patience for doing dishes, you’ll love this creamy chicken and mushroom skillet meal. It’s ready in just 30 minutes, and is made in a single saute pan on the stove top.
The best part is that this recipe is made with simple ingredients you can find at your local grocer.
Plus, the chicken, mushrooms, and pasta are coated in a creamy and flavorful herb sauce. It’s surprisingly simple to make, and filled with flavor.
How to Make a Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
First, gather your ingredients. You’ll also need one saute pan with a lid.
For this recipe, you’ll need sliced button mushrooms, orzo, heavy cream, diced onions, cubed chicken, chicken broth, olive oil, parsley, thyme, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
I find it easiest to prep all of my ingredients before I start. That includes slicing your mushrooms, cubing your chicken, dicing your onions, and mincing your garlic.
In your saute pan over medium heat, add half of your olive oil. Meanwhile, season your chicken with salt and pepper. When hot, add your cubed chicken and cook on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Then, add your remaining olive oil, then add your onions and mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onions and mushrooms begin to brown. Add your garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
Next, add your chicken broth, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
Then, add your orzo, parsley, and thyme, stirring to combine your ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Simmer until pasta is al dente (according to your pasta’s package directions). At this point, only a small amount of liquid should be remaining for your sauce.
Remove the lid and add your heavy cream and cooked chicken, stirring to incorporate. Cook for one additional minute, then remove from heat and allow dish to set for 5 minutes so your sauce can thicken.
More Skillet Meals
I love skillet meals because they’re quick, easy, and require minimal cleanup after dinner! Here are a few more of my favorites:
- Leftover Turkey Alfredo Skillet Meal
- Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Orzo Skillet Meal
- One Pan Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo
- Tuscan Chicken Mac and Cheese
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup orzo uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pan. When hot, add chicken and cook until juices run clear, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and mushrooms to pan and cook until onions are translucent and mushrooms have browned (about 4-5 minutes). Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth to pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Then, add orzo, parsley, and thyme. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until pasta is just al dente (according to your pasta's package directions). Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
- Remove lid and add heavy cream and cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Cook for one additional minute, then remove from heat. Allow to set for 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken.
- Optionally, top with fresh chopped parsley, or freshly grated parmesan.