This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Orzo Skillet Meal is ready in less than 30 minutes and makes the perfect weeknight meal. Chopped chicken, broccoli, and orzo are coated in a creamy and flavorful cheddar cheese sauce.
Skillet meals make the perfect weeknight meal after a hectic day. Cheesy chicken broccoli and orzo skillet meal comes together in a single pan, in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it’s absolutely filled with cheesy flavor. Can’t get any better than that!
Looking for more chicken skillet meals? I’ve got plenty! Try my Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet Meal and Cajun Chicken and Spinach Parmesan Pasta Skillet Meal. These are a few of my favorites.
Chicken and broccoli make a great pairing. Bring cheddar cheese into the mix and you’ve got an amazing meal that the entire family will love.
This meal is so easy to make, you’ll be adding it to your weekly rotation. It’s that good!
This meal is easier than you think. First, dice up your chicken. Sauté it in a pan with some butter, salt, and pepper, and set aside. Then, you’ll brown some onion and garlic to give your dish extra flavor.
Then, you’ll boil your orzo right in the pan, with some chicken broth, adding even more flavor (sense a theme here?). During the last few minutes of cooking the orzo, you’ll add the broccoli in to steam lightly.
Lastly, you’ll add your heavy cream and cheese, making a rich and creamy sauce. The entire meal comes together in a single pan, which is the best part. Hardly any kitchen cleanup is needed after this meal.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Orzo Skillet Meal
- 16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup orzo uncooked
- 3 cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- Cube chicken breasts into bite size pieces. Season with salt and pepper
- Heat saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan. When heated, add chicken and cook until juices run clear, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions to pan and cook until they begin to brown and turn translucent. Add garlic, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and water to pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Add orzo, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 4 minutes (or, consult your pasta's package directions and cook for 5 minutes less than package directions state).
- Remove lid and add chopped broccoli. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing broccoli to steam and pasta to finish cooking. If all of liquid is absorbed, add an additional 1/4 cup of water as needed.
- Remove lid and add heavy cream, shredded cheese, and cooked chicken. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes on low, or until cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy.
Last Updated on