Chorizo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is an easy, low-carb, and flavorful meal for two. Spaghetti squash is roasted and filled with chorizo, peppers, and onions, then smothered in melted cheese.
Spaghetti Squash – nature’s pasta! Who doesn’t love it? These Chorizo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash bowls are a fun and surprisingly simple dinner. They are not only healthy, but low-carb too (if you’re into that kind of thing).
Never had spaghetti squash before? It’s much like chicken, in that it doesn’t have a strong flavor on its own. Instead, spaghetti squash takes on the flavor of whatever you add to the dish.
It doesn’t have a “squash flavor” like butternut or acorn squash. It really is like nature’s pasta!
That’s why I like to use chorizo in this dish. Chorizo is a spicy sausage that’s the perfect pairing for the mild flavor of spaghetti squash. Add in some bell peppers and onions, and we’ve got a flavor party.
Lastly, a good smothering of cheese on top is a must. Who doesn’t love cheese?
More dinner recipes
- Loaded Mac and Cheese
- Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet Meal
- Cheesesteak Style Sloppy Joes
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- Corn Chowder with Andouille Sausage
Chorizo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces chorizo casings removed
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Carefully slice spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds with a spoon. Drizzle both halves with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place squash cut side up on a baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until insides easily pull away with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a fork, pull spaghetti squash flesh into loose "noodles", being careful to keep the outer skin intact (this will be your bowl).
- Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Crumble chorizo into pan. Add diced bell pepper and onions. Saute until meat and is browned and cooked through, and vegetables are tender.
- Spoon half of chorizo mixture onto each spaghetti squash bowl. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and enjoy.
- Optionally, place spaghetti squash under your oven broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned slightly.