Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Walnuts is a simple and healthy side dish or vegetarian main dish. Oven roasted spaghetti squash is paired with sautéed onions, garlic, and kale, then topped with walnuts and parmesan cheese.
Looking for a light and healthy vegetarian dish? I am loving my new recipe for spaghetti squash with kale and walnuts. This dish is incredibly easy to make and comes together in a single pan. It’s also filled with flavor, has a nice crunch, and stands on its own or with a protein added in. I’d suggest some grilled chicken breast or steak sliced on top.
Never roasted a spaghetti squash before? No worries, it’s easy once you’ve got it sliced open. The outside is very tough when the spaghetti squash is raw, so you may need to use a bit of force with a large chef’s knife. Try slicing it from top to bottom, so gravity can assist. If you’re having a tough time, you can soften your squash in the microwave. Pierce it all over with a fork, then microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until the skin is soft enough to cut through.
Once your squash is sliced in half, simply scoop out the innards all the way to the firm flesh. This can be discarded. After that, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. At this point it’s ready to roast! You’ll know your spaghetti squash is finished cooking when you can easily pull the strands back with a fork.
The rest of your dish is prepared in a single sauté pan, making cleanup a breeze. Onions and garlic are and easy way to add tons of flavor to a dish. Parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top, adding some extra salty flavor. Taste your dish before serving, and add more salt and pepper as needed. Everyone’s palate and preferences are different, so you may need more seasoning.
Spaghetti Squash with Kale and Walnuts
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups kale packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out and discard innards and seeds. Coat the inside of the spaghetti squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the halves cut side down on your baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until squash can be pulled away easily with a fork. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once heated, add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent and beginning to brown. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add kale to pan and cover. Allow to cook until kale has wilted, about 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, use a fork to remove spaghetti squash strands from skin.
- Remove lid and add spaghetti squash and walnuts. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve immediately.