This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Today I’d like to share with you a squash recipe that combines my favorite fall flavors. Keep reading to check out my Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar and Pecans.
Butternut squash is a versatile fall vegetable – it can be made sweet or savory. Plus it’s incredibly easy to work with, especially when roasting.
Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices, and fall is its time to shine. I like to add pecans to this recipe because they highlight the nutty flavor of the squash and pair well with cinnamon. Walnuts would also work well.
If you’re having trouble peeling and cutting up your butternut squash, here’s a quick tip. First, pierce the skin of the squash all over with a fork. Next, place squash in the microwave and cook for about 3 minutes.
Remove from the microwave and allow to cool. The skin should peel off much more easily.
When you microwave your squash, the flesh underneath produces steam, which begins to separate the skin from the flesh. This makes it infinitely easier to peel. If you’ve ever peeled a raw butternut squash, you’ll understand how important this step is for your sanity!
What is your favorite fall vegetable?
Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar and Pecans
- 1 medium butternut squash about 2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel squash, cut in half, and scoop out pulp and seeds. Cut squash into bite size pieces (about 1" cubes). Place into a large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over squash. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, and salt. Stir to coat.
- Pour squash onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
- Roast squash for 15 minutes in the oven. Remove pan from oven and flip squash over to ensure even browning. Sprinkle your chopped pecans over the squash and return to the oven. Roast for 10-15 more minutes, or until squash is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Last Updated on