Birthday Cake Shortbread Cookie Bites are bite size cookies filled with rainbow sprinkles. They are tender, sweet, and taste like birthday cake.
How cute are these birthday cake shortbread cookie bites? I am loving these little cookies, and they’re absolutely addictive too. A handful in a decorative bag would make a fantastic party favor.
Or, set out a bowl at your next celebration. They’ll go fast!
You’ll love this recipe because you only need six ingredients, most of which you already have on hand. What makes these shortbread cookies special is the blend of vanilla extract and almond extract.
Cake mixes often use a bit of almond, butter, and vanilla flavoring to give the cake that signature taste. So, I like to use both when imitating a birthday cake flavor.
Shortbread cookies are a favorite of mine. They’re quick, easy, and don’t require any complicated ingredients. The basic shortbread cookie can be made with only butter, sugar, and flour.
A good shortbread is buttery, firm, and and slightly sweet. They pair well with coffee and tea, or even a tall glass of milk. For a more traditional shortbread cookie, check out my Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Dippers, or Shortbread Cookies with Sprinkles.
Birthday Cake Shortbread Cookie Bites
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons rainbow jimmies
- In a bowl, cream together butter, sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift (or whisk) flour. Add flour to butter mixture and mix until a dough forms. Add rainbow jimmies and mix until just combined.
- Press dough into a parchment lined 9x13 baking pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pull dough and parchment out of baking pan. Slice dough into about 3/4" rows across and down to create squares. Place squares about 1 inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet (it will take 2 or more sheets to bake all cookies).
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies begin to lightly brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from sheet to cool completely.