Homemade trail mix is a quick and easy snack to keep on hand for your next hiking or camping trip, or snacking between meals. A nice blend of sweet and salty ingredients makes this trail mix an addictive pantry staple.
Have you ever been out and about when hunger hits you? Instead of opting for fast food or other indulgent treats, grab a handful of homemade trail mix. It's perfect for filling you up with nutritious ingredients (and a hint of sweetness!) without totally ruining your appetite for dinner.
Homemade trail mix is also great for camping trips and hiking. It's shelf stable, easy to grab at a moment's notice, and provides an energy boost on an active day.
Plus, it's easy to customize with your favorite nuts, seeds, and candies. Salty, sweet, and crunchy, homemade trail mix is the perfect snack to keep on hand everywhere you go.
Ingredients and substitutions
This trail mix is made with our favorite ratio of salty to sweet, and crunchy to chewy. However, trail mix is completely customizable to suit your tastes. Feel free to add what you like!
- Peanuts - Can be substituted with your favorite nuts, like cashews or pistachios.
- Raisins - We used golden raisins, but classic black raisins or dried cranberries are great substitutes.
- Almonds - Can be substituted with your favorite nuts, like cashews, walnuts, pecans, or macadamia nuts.
- Sunflower seeds - Pumpkin seeds make a great substitute.
- Mini M&M's candies - Can be substituted with regular M&M's candies, Reese's pieces, or chocolate chips. Or, add more raisins instead.
More trail mix ingredients
Wondering what to put in homemade trail mix? Here are more of my favorite variations:
- Dried cranberries
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Dried apricots
- Vanilla granola
- Cheerios cereal
- Banana chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Rye chips
How long does trail mix last?
Homemade trail mix will keep for about one month in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
This will depend on the freshness of the ingredients used in your trail mix. Make sure you're using fresh ingredients to keep your trail mix fresh as long as possible. Check expiration dates on packages before adding ingredients to your mix.
Homemade Trail Mix
- 1 ½ cups dry roasted peanuts
- ¾ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup roasted almonds
- ½ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup M&M's candies, or chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine.
- Store in a sealed container or plastic zip top bag. Safe to keep for 1 month.
- Trail mix will keep for up to one month at room temperature in a sealed container. Take into account the ingredients you've added and check expiration dates, just in case.
- Customize your own trail mix with your favorite ingredients. Cashews, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, peanut butter chips, and pepitas are all great additions.