Scotcheroos are a sweet dessert bar made with rice krispies cereal and peanut butter. These easy, six-ingredient bars are topped with a rich butterscotch and chocolate topping.
Scotcheroos are a crowd pleasing, easy to make dessert. These bars include favorite flavors like peanut butter, butterscotch, and chocolate.
Not only are they easy to make, but you’ll only need six ingredients to make these scotcheroos. Plus, they’re ready in less than 30 minutes.
The base of these bars is cooked on the stove top, then pressed into a 9×13 pan. Then, they’re coated in a melted chocolate and butterscotch topping. That’s it – no baking required!
Scotcheroos Recipe Adjustments
Scotcheroos originated as a recipe on the side of a Rice Krispies box in the 1960s. While I grew up making and enjoying this recipe, I have since made some adjustments.
First, the original recipe is extremely sweet and rich. I have since cut the amount of granulated sugar in half. I’ve also reduced the amount of rice krispies by one cup to balance the coating to cereal ratio.
Last, instead of 6 ounces each of chocolate and butterscotch chips, I reduced each to 5 ounces. While not a large change, I found that the thinner chocolate coating made these bars less rich and overwhelming.
How to Make Scotcheroos
You only need six ingredients for this recipe, so let’s gather your ingredients and get started.
For this recipe, you’ll need peanut butter, granulated sugar, rice krispies cereal, semi-sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and light corn syrup.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add your corn syrup and granulated sugar. Stir until the sugar has melted.
As soon as your mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and add your peanut butter. Don’t allow your mixture to boil for more than a minute, this will make your bars hard instead of chewy.
Stir until peanut butter is melted and incorporated.
Next, add your rice krispies and stir until evenly coated.
Then, press into your prepared 9×13 pan. I recommend using a spatula instead of your hands, because the mixture will still be hot.
In a microwave safe container, warm chocolate and butterscotch chips in 30 second increments and stir until melted. Optionally, melt chips in a double boiler on the stove top instead.
Pour chocolate mixture over bars and spread evenly to the edges. Then, refrigerate your bars until the chocolate is set, cut into rectangles, and enjoy.
How to Store Scotcheroos
While you do need to refrigerate them initially to harden the chocolate topping, your scotcheroos do not need to be stored in the refrigerator.
In fact, they are best stored at room temperature. Stored in a sealed container, your scotcheroos will stay fresh up to 3 days. After that, your bars will begin to harden and lose their chewy texture.
If you need to store your scotcheroos in the refrigerator due to the summer heat, I recommend letting the sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Otherwise, your bars will be hard and difficult to chew.
More Dessert Bar Recipes
- Strawberry Rice Krispies Treats
- Cinnamon Spice Rice Krispies Treats
- Magic Cookie Bars
- Salted Caramel Brownies
- Small Batch Brownies
- Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 5 ounces butterscotch chips
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or grease bottom and sides and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add corn syrup and granulated sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Once mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat immediately and stir in peanut butter. Then add rice krispies cereal and stir until evenly coated.
- Press mixture evenly into prepared 9x13 pan.
- In a microwave safe dish, warm chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in 30 second increments, stirring until melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture over bars and spread with a knife to the edges. Refrigerate bars for 15 minutes, or until chocolate coating has solidified.
- Remove from refrigerator, slice into bars, and serve.
- Scotcheroos will keep for 3 days stored in a sealed container at room temperature.
- Optionally, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over low heat on the stove top instead of the microwave.