These Halloween rice krispies treats are an easy no-bake treat to make for Halloween. Chewy chocolate rice krispies treats are topped with a white chocolate spider web - a fun addition to your Halloween treat table.
Looking for a fun and easy no-bake treat to make for Halloween? These chocolate rice krispies treats are easy to whip up in minutes, and make a fun addition to your Halloween dessert table.
Kids and adults alike will enjoy these chewy rice krispies treats. They're filled with rich chocolate, gooey marshmallows, and crunchy rice krispies cereal.
The white chocolate spider web is easy to make yourself - no drawing skills needed! All you need is a plastic sandwich bag and some white chocolate chips.
Ingredients and substitutions
Rice krispies cereal can be substituted with cocoa crispies if you have it available in your area. If using cocoa crispies (the chocolate version of rice krispies cereal), you can also omit the chocolate chips from the recipe.
Regular or mini marshmallows can be used in this recipe. I find that mini marshmallows melt more quickly and easily, so I usually go for those.
I find that white chocolate chips are best for making the spider webs in this recipe. Melting wafers could work, but when melted, they are thinner and more difficult to control when drawing.
Making the spider webs
Drawing your spider webs is surprisingly easy. First, you'll melt your chocolate chips in a microwave safe container (or in a double boiler on the stove top).
Carefully pour your melted chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or piping bag. Seal your bag, then cut off a small tip from one of the corners.
Starting at one corner of the rice krispies treat, draw four lines of the same length out from the corner to create a starburst pattern. Then, draw a swooping line to connect the ends of each line together. Last, add one more set of swooping lines halfway down the four lines to complete the spider web design.
If your chocolate is very warm, it may be too runny and difficult to control. If this is the case, allow it to cool and thicken for a few minutes before continuing.
Can I make these ahead?
Rice krispies are best served the same day, or one day after preparing. If you're making them a day ahead, store them in a tightly sealed container at room temperature to keep them as fresh as possible.
After about 2 days, your treats will begin to get stale. If you need to store them for longer than a day, try wrapping each individually in plastic wrap and then storing them in a sealed container.
How to freeze leftovers
Rice krispies treats can also be frozen! If you have leftovers and don't want to toss them, I recommend freezing them around day two.
Layer your rice krispies between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container. Your rice krispies should last about six weeks in the freezer when stored properly.
Remove your treats from the freezer and allow to set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before enjoying.
Halloween Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add mini marshmallows and chocolate chips, stirring until melted and evenly incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add rice krispies cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press evenly into a lightly greased (or parchment lined) 9x13 pan. Allow to set for 10 minutes to cool.
- Slice rice krispies into 2 inch squares and transfer to a cooling rack or sheet of wax paper for decorating.
- Add white chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments until warm, then stir until melted. Carefully pour white chocolate into a plastic sandwich bag or piping bag, seal, and cut off the tip from one corner.
- Draw spider webs onto each treat. Start in one corner and draw four even lines outward to make a starburst pattern. Connect the lines with a swooping line at the ends, and again in the middle, to make a spiderweb pattern. Transfer treats to refrigerator for 10 minutes to allow chocolate to harden before serving.
- Rice krispies treats are best served within one day of preparing, and will begin to go stale after two days.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
- Leftovers can be frozen - layer between sheets of wax paper and store in a freezer safe container for up to 6 weeks. Allow frozen rice krispies to thaw for 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Rice krispies and chocolate chips can be substituted with cocoa crispies cereal.