Cereal marshmallow treats will have you feeling a little nostalgic. These no-bake dessert bars are filled with your favorite sugary childhood cereal and gooey marshmallows.
Now that I'm grown, I've come to realize that those sugary cereals we enjoyed as kids were not healthy or nutritious. But if we've learned anything from rice krispies treats, they're perfect for making fun no-bake desserts!
These cereal marshmallow treats can be made with just about any brand of cereal - make them fruity or chocolatey! These no-bake bars turn out chewy, gooey, and sweet. The entire family will love them!
Cereal marshmallow treats are so easy to make, the kids can help. Make a batch on the weekend, for a picnic or barbecue, or as a last-minute school treat.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you'll only need three ingredients - it's so easy and simple!
Grab six cups of your favorite cereal - Honey Smacks are shown, but check out my full list of cereal options below.
Mini marshmallows melt easily and quickly, but can be substituted with regular marshmallows if needed.
The great part about this recipe is that it can be made with just about any type of cereal. My suggestion? Rice krispies, or any flavor variations like Cocoa Krispies or Fruity Pebbles, give the best texture.
However, this recipe will work with just about any cereal out there! Here are a few more to try:
- Corn flakes
- Frosted flakes
- Cocoa krispies
- Fruity pebbles
- Rice krispies
- Golden grahams
- Fruit loops
- Reese's puffs
Or, try combining several of your favorite cereals into a single batch! Try making a fruity cereal bar with fruit loops and fruity pebbles, or a chocolatey bar with reese's puffs and cocoa krispies.
Make ahead and storing
Marshmallow treats are best served within about a day or two of preparing. They tend to dry out quickly, so I suggest enjoying your treats within two days.
To keep your treats fresh for as long as possible, store them at room temperature in a tightly sealed container.
Your marshmallow treats can be frozen. If you have leftovers and don't want to toss them, I recommend freezing your treats by day two.
Layer your bars between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container. They should last about six weeks in the freezer when stored properly.
Remove your treats from the freezer and allow to set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before enjoying.
Cereal Marshmallow Treats
- ¼ cup (57 g) unsalted butter
- 10 ounces (284 g) mini marshmallows
- 6 cups (168 g) cereal, see options below*
- Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper (or lightly grease) and set aside.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add mini marshmallows, stirring until melted and evenly incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal and stir until evenly coated. Press evenly into prepared 9x13 pan. Allow to set for 10 minutes to cool.
- Slice into 2 inch squares and serve.
- * Cereal treats can be made with many cereals, including: fruity pebbles, fruit loops, chex, trix, reese's puffs, rice krispies, cocoa krispies, and corn flakes.
- Marshmallow treats are best enjoyed within 1-2 days of preparing. Leftover treats can be frozen in a tightly sealed container for up to 6 weeks.
- Want to add extra flavor? Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and/or a teaspoon of cinnamon to your marshmallow mixture before adding your cereal, depending on the flavor of cereal you choose.
Leave a Reply