Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate is a rich and sweet hot beverage that’s perfect for winter weather. Homemade caramel sauce is blended with chocolate chips and milk, then topped with homemade whipped cream.
You’re going to love this recipe for salted caramel hot chocolate because it’s made entirely from scratch with a handful of easy-to-find ingredients. You may even have what you need in your pantry already!
First, you’ll make your own homemade caramel sauce on the stove top, which takes only a few minutes. Next, you’ll add your remaining hot chocolate ingredients and warm until ready to serve.
I’ve also included an easy whipped cream recipe if you’re inclined to make your own – it’s decadent, rich, and totally worth it! A nice alternative to marshmallows, if you’re looking to mix things up.
How to Make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
First, gather your ingredients.
For the hot chocolate, you’ll need brown sugar, sea salt, milk (divided), unsalted butter, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
If you’d like to make your own whipped cream, you’ll also need heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar.
In a saucepan over medium heat, add your brown sugar, butter, salt, and 1/4 cup of your milk. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Before the next step, you’ll want to remove and set aside a few tablespoons of caramel sauce to use as a drizzle later.
Next, add your chocolate chips to the caramel sauce.
Then, add the rest of your milk and whisk until the chocolate has melted and caramel has incorporated into the milk. The chocolate chips will melt, but you’ll still see small bits of chocolate in your hot cocoa. This is normal.
Next, continue warming your hot chocolate over medium/low heat until desired temperature is reached. Remove from heat and serve.
If you’d like to make your own whipped cream, add your heavy whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar to a bowl. Using a whisk, or the whisk attachment on your mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
Or, feel free to use marshmallows instead!
Top your hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of reserved caramel, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Enjoy!
More Chocolate Recipes
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- Salted Caramel Brownies
- Scotcheroos Recipe
- Hot Cocoa Cookies
- Dutch Cocoa Cookies
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups milk divided
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream cold
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add brown sugar, butter, salt, and 1/4 cup of milk. Stir until ingredients have melted and incorporated. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until caramel has thickened slightly.
- Optionally, reserve 2 tablespoons of caramel sauce to use as a topping.
- Add remaining milk and chocolate chips to the saucepan of caramel. Whisk to incorporate, and continue stirring until chocolate has melted. Tiny bits of chocolate will be visible in your hot chocolate.
- Warm for another 1-2 minutes, or until hot chocolate is heated to your liking. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Whipped Cream (optional)
- In a bowl, add cold heavy cream and confectioner's sugar. Whip for 1-2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add a dollop on top of each mug of hot chocolate just before serving.
- Optionally, top your hot chocolate with chocolate shavings, sea salt, and reserved caramel.
- This recipe will make four large servings (think big coffee mugs), or six smaller servings.
- If omitting whipped cream topping, subtract 114 calories from each serving of hot chocolate.
- Using chocolate chips in hot chocolate will leave beautiful flecks of chocolate throughout your drink. Some will rise to the top as it sits, giving an ombre effect to your drink.