You only need three ingredients to make your own homemade hot chocolate mix. Keep on hand for whenever your sweet tooth strikes – you can make a single mug or enough for the whole family.
Homemade hot chocolate mix is a must-have in my kitchen cabinet. It’s so easy to scoop out a serving for yourself – or a make larger batch for a crowd.
You also don’t have to rely on pre-packaged store bought hot chocolate. Instead, spoon out exactly the amount you need to match the amount of milk you’re using.
Or, make your hot chocolate extra chocolate-y and sweet with an extra spoonful.
Mix in a mason jar
For this recipe, you only need three ingredients, which can be shaken up in a 16 ounce mason jar.
Simply add your ingredients to a mason jar, seal tightly with a lid, and shake until your ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Less work and mess! This method makes a quick and easy gift, too. Add a ribbon and gift tag, and pair with a new coffee mug.
Cinnamon hot chocolate
Optionally, add a pinch of cinnamon to your hot chocolate mix. This is nice especially during the holiday season.
It adds a little warmth and spice, without overpowering the chocolate flavor.
This hot chocolate mix can be made with natural cocoa powder or dutch process cocoa powder.
Keep in mind, dutch process cocoa powder is darker, but with a milder chocolate flavor. Using dutch process cocoa will also give your mix more of a grey color instead of brown.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- In a bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine. Store in an airtight container until ready to use. Optionally, add all ingredients to a 16 ounce mason jar, seal, and shake to combine.
- To prepare hot chocolate: Add two tablespoons of hot chocolate mix to 8 ounces of hot milk. Stir until dissolved and serve immediately. (The average coffee mug is 12 ounces, so you may need extra hot chocolate mix to match the amount of milk used).
- Optionally, top prepared hot chocolate with marshmallows, whipped cream, shaved chocolate, or cinnamon.
- The average coffee mug holds 12 ounces of liquid. Keep this in mind, you may need to add 3 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix to a coffee mug filled with hot milk.
- This recipe cannot be made with water. Store bought hot chocolate mixes also contain a dried milk powder, which allows them to be mixed with water. This recipe does not, and needs to be mixed with milk.