Rotisserie chicken salad makes an easy and flavorful lunch or meal prep for the entire week. Rotisserie chicken, celery, onions, walnuts, and cranberries are tossed in a creamy homemade herb dressing.
You'll love this rotisserie chicken salad recipe because it's easy to whip up for a quick lunch, dinner, or meal prep for the week.
This chicken salad is filled with fresh veggies like celery and red onion. Walnuts and dried cranberries are also added for crunch and flavor.
Ranch seasoning is my secret ingredient to add tons of flavor to the dressing, which includes flavors like dill, parsley, and garlic.
For this recipe, you'll be shredding a whole rotisserie chicken, then adding a few simple ingredients to make enough chicken salad to enjoy all week long.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken - For this recipe, you'll need a whole, cooked, rotisserie chicken. These can usually be found at your local grocery store deli. This can also be substituted with 16 ounces of cooked and shredded lightly seasoned chicken breasts or thighs.
- Mayonnaise - The base of your chicken salad dressing. Mayonnaise can be substituted with plain Greek yogurt for a tangier flavor and fewer calories.
- Mustard - Dijon mustard adds flavor and tang to the chicken salad. Can be substituted with yellow mustard if that's what you have on hand.
- Celery and onion - Adds flavor and crunch.
- Ranch seasoning - Adds flavor to your chicken salad. You can use a homemade ranch seasoning blend or a store bought packet.
- Mix-ins - Walnuts and cranberries are optional, but provide great texture and flavor to your chicken salad. Use any type of nuts or dried fruits you have on hand. Or, try adding fresh grapes sliced in half.
Chicken salad variations
This creamy chicken salad recipe is incredibly easy to customize with your favorite ingredients. If swapping your seasoning blend, I'd recommend starting with a smaller amount than noted in the recipe card, then tasting and adding more as needed.
- Sunflower seeds
- Dried cranberries
- Fresh grapes
- Cubed or grated apple
Homemade rotisserie chicken salad will keep for up to 5 days in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
What to serve with chicken salad
Easy side dishes that are great paired with homemade chicken salad:
- Strawberry spinach salad
- Kale apple slaw
- Classic pasta salad
- Southern macaroni salad
- Spicy dill refrigerator pickles
- Refrigerator bread and butter pickles
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken, *
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 large celery rib, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Remove the meat from your rotisserie chicken and shred into bite size pieces, discarding the skin and bones.
- In a large bowl, add your shredded chicken meat and remaining ingredients. Stir to incorporate, adding more mayonnaise as needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over a bed of lettuce or on lightly toasted bread as a sandwich.
- *One rotisserie chicken can be substituted with 14-16 ounces of any cooked chicken meat.
- Walnuts and cranberries are optional, and can be substituted with almonds, pistachios, pecans, raisins, fresh grapes, or diced apple.
- Chicken salad will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator, stored in a tightly sealed container.
- For a lower calorie variation, try replacing some or all of the mayonnaise with plain Greek yogurt.