Rotisserie Chicken Salad makes an easy and flavorful lunch or meal prep for the entire week. Rotisserie chicken, celery, onions, walnuts, and cranberries are tossed in a creamy homemade herb dressing.
You'll love this rotisserie chicken salad recipe because it's easy to whip up for a quick lunch, dinner, or meal prep for the week.
This chicken salad is filled with fresh veggies like celery and red onion. Walnuts and dried cranberries are also added for crunch and flavor.
Ranch Seasoning is my secret ingredient to add tons of flavor to the dressing, which includes herbs like dill and parsley, as well as garlic.
For this recipe, you'll be shredding a whole rotisserie chicken, then adding a few simple ingredients to make enough chicken salad to enjoy all week long.
Ingredients and substitutions
For this recipe, you'll need a whole, cooked, rotisserie chicken. These can usually be found at your local grocery store deli. This can also be substituted with 16 ounces of cooked and shredded chicken breasts or thighs.
Walnuts and cranberries are optional, but provide great texture and flavor to your chicken salad. You can use any type of nuts or dried fruits you have on hand. Or, try adding fresh grapes sliced in half.
Chicken salad variations
This creamy chicken salad recipe is incredibly easy to customize with your favorite ingredients. Don't have Ranch Seasoning on hand? You can make your own, or use your favorite seasoning blend. Italian Seasoning, Everyday Seasoning, or Cajun Seasoning would also make great choices.
If swapping your seasoning blend, I'd recommend starting with a smaller amount than noted in the recipe card, then tasting and adding more as needed.
I love adding walnuts and dried cranberries to my chicken salad, but you're welcome to use other mix-ins to add crunch and flavor. Almonds, pecans, or pistachios can be substituted for the walnuts. Raisins or fresh grapes also make a great addition to any chicken salad recipe.
Or, try dicing an apple to add to your next batch of chicken salad.
What do you like to add to your chicken salad? Share in the comments below!
What to serve with chicken salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Kale Apple Slaw
- Classic Pasta Salad
- Southern Macaroni Salad
- Spicy Dill Refrigerator Pickles
- Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- Spicy Garlic Chex Mix
- Fresh fruit salad
- Potato chips
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 1 cooked rotisserie chicken *
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 ½ ribs of celery diced
- ½ small red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Remove the meat from your rotisserie chicken and shred into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, add your shredded chicken meat and remaining ingredients. Stir to incorporate, adding more mayonnaise as needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve over a bed of lettuce or on lightly toasted bread as a sandwich.
- *1 rotisserie chicken can be substituted with 14-16 ounces of any cooked chicken meat.
- Walnuts and cranberries are optional, and can be substituted with almonds, pistachios, pecans, raisins, fresh grapes, or diced apple.
- Chicken salad will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator, stored in a tightly sealed container.
- For a lower calorie variation, try replacing some or all of the mayonnaise with plain greek yogurt.